[WATCH] ML Live #14: Google Home vs. Amazon Echo, Google I/O recap & more
In the latest Marketing Land Live, we recap all the news from Google I/O, including a discussion on the merits of Google Home vs. Amazon Echo.
Google’s annual developer event, Google I/O, brought big news last week with the introduction of Google Home, a new device powered by what the company is calling the Google assistant. (Yes, lowercase “a.”) Google Home will compete directly with Amazon’s popular Echo device and its Alexa-powered siblings, Echo and Tap, and indirectly with Apple’s Siri, Microsoft’s Cortana and other smart assistants.
In the latest episode of our weekly video show, Marketing Land Live, we talk about where Google may have an advantage over Amazon, despite the latter’s lengthy head start in the in-home device/assistant space. We also recap other Google I/O news such as Firebase Analytics, Android Instant Apps and more. The show also includes discussion of reports last week that Amazon will begin selling its own private-label products and more.
Joining me for this week’s show are Marketing Land’s Amy Gesenhues, Ginny Marvin and Greg Sterling. The show runs about 55 minutes and you can watch the replay below. Be sure to scroll below the video for this week’s Show Notes, with links to the stories we talked about.
Google I/O 2016
- Google I/O Live Blog: Home voice-activated assistant, Allo messaging app announced
- Meet Google assistant: A new search platform, rather than a gadget or an app
- Make room for Google Home, Amazon Echo/Alexa
- Google says 20 percent of mobile queries are voice searches
- Google announces Firebase Analytics & Universal App Campaigns updates for app developers
- Google will build its own Daydream VR headset & controller
- VR is coming to the Google Play store this fall with Daydream
- Google’s new Instant Apps promise an “install-free” experience
Google Product Listing Ads officially launch in Image search, among announcements for retailers
WSJ: Amazon will soon be offering more private-label brands
Amazon reaches $100B in annual sales
Twitter will reportedly stop counting links, photos against tweets’ character counts
Bing Ads Editor 11.0 debuts with multiple account management, better search, easier login
Bing launches UET Tag Helper, a troubleshooting Chrome extension
Google beta testing a real-time indexing API
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.
New on MarTech