Marketing Day: Holiday shopping trends, Reddit ads & Google’s earnings report
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Amy Gesenhues on October 28, 2016 at 4:05 pm | Reading time: 6 minutes
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on MarTech and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- ABM brings the right guests to the party; marketing automation keeps them engaged
Oct 28, 2016 by Jeffrey L. Cohen
What is account-based marketing (AMB), and how is it used? Columnist Jeffrey L. Cohen provides a primer on how AMB can improve marketing automation, drive sales alignment and improve customer profile data.
- A Penguin’s Tale: Responding to the latest update
Oct 28, 2016 by Dave Davies
What should SEOs do to make the best of the new Penguin update? Perhaps not much. Columnist Dave Davies notes that while Penguin 4.0 was indeed significant, things ultimately haven’t changed that much.
- It’s scary how many ways SEO can go wrong
Oct 28, 2016 by Patrick Stox
In search engine optimization, sometimes even small errors can have a large and costly impact. Columnist Patrick Stox shares his SEO horror stories so that you can be spared this fate.
- Look to Thanksgiving dinner for holiday shopping trends
Oct 28, 2016 by Adam Weiss
Columnist Adam Weiss takes a close look at the friends and family we all have around our Thanksgiving dinner tables and explains how affiliate marketers can get their attention this holiday shopping season.
- [Podcast] Marketing Land Live #33: Alex Hertel of Xperiel on marketing in the “Real World Web”
Oct 28, 2016 by Matt McGee
In this week’s podcast, we meet a company that’s aiming to put an end to thinking about “online” and “offline” as different user experiences, and what that would mean for marketers.
- Tumi’s chief digital officer shares how his org is built to go ‘beyond incrementality’
Oct 28, 2016 by Nadine Dietz & Erica Seidel
Contributors Erica Seidel and Nadine Dietz interview Charlie Cole, Chief Digital Officer of Tumi, to uncover the inner workings of his high-growth digital team that works in unison with marketing.
- Reddit launches ad targeting product based on site visits
Oct 28, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
Reddit’s new ad targeting product will be interest-based, focusing on the communities on the site that visitors frequent.
- How consumers use reviews and what you can learn from them
Oct 27, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Consumer reviews have become an important source of information for consumers during the buying process. Understanding how reviews are used is paramount. Download this report from Trustpilot to learn: how consumers engage with reviews; which factors (quantity, recency, content) affect conversion rates most; and why consumers are choosing your competitor over you.
- Amazon reports sales up 29% YoY, earning $32.7B in Q3 2016
Oct 27, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
The ecommerce giant says it plans to add 120,000 seasonal employees for the upcoming holiday season.
- Google parent Alphabet’s Q3 beats expectations with $22.5 billion in revenue
Oct 27, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Paid clicks were up 33 percent year over year, but cost per click was down 11 percent.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- Creative Spotlight: 6 Tips For Writing A Killer Blog Post That Converts, www.copypress.com
- What To Blog For A Small Local Business, www.searchenginepeople.com
- 5 Content Marketing Trends to Look Out For, www.martechadvisor.com
- 5 Journalistic Standards That Don’t Always Apply to Content Marketing, contently.com
- How to Make Content Creation the Star Quarterback, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- How to combine attribution and segmentation data to achieve marketing success, econsultancy.com
- How to Find the Conversion Drivers of Your Website with the Funnel Report, blog.kissmetrics.com
- What Case Studies Should Include to Move the Conversation to the Finish Line, www.conversationagent.com
- Why Do Mobile Conversion Rates Still Stink?, www.adweek.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 6 Copywriting Steps to Selling More, blog.crazyegg.com
- WordPress 4.7 Beta 1 Now Available for Testing, wptavern.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- The promise and peril of the custom banner ad, digiday.com
- 26 Ecommerce Email Marketing Tips to 5X Your Conversion Rates, www.bigcommerce.com
- 6 steps to a better ecommerce website design, www.internetretailer.com
- Amazon beefs up Paris express delivery service with partnerships, Reuters
- Amazon Prime launches in China, techcrunch.com
- How to Craft the Best Damn Ecommerce Page on the Web, moz.com
- Online Shoppers Want a More Human Experience (Report), www.adweek.com
- UPS expecting record holiday deliveries as ecommerce continues to drive revenue, www.retaildive.com
- Wal-Mart makes an online holiday push, www.internetretailer.com
- 9 scary-good email examples for Halloween, myemma.com
- Beyond Optimization: Email A/B Tests That Will Improve Your Entire Business, unbounce.com
- Google “Email Markup” Helps Transactional Emails Stand Out, www.practicalecommerce.com
General Internet Marketing
- Is Marketing Personal Or Business? Can It Be Both?, adexchanger.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Laura Lewellyn Joins Lotame as Sr Director, Market Innovation, www.lotame.com
- IAB Names Dennis Buchheim Senior Vice President, Data and Ad Effectiveness, & General Manager of the IAB Data Center of Excellence, www.businesswire.com
- How Chatbots Are Revolutionizing the Way You Reach Your Consumer, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Getting Started with Google AMP in WordPress, kinsta.com
- 3 reasons your mobile campaign should pull, not push, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- From table to bed, consumers turn to mobile devices to shop for the holidays, www.internetretailer.com
- Google AMP Gets Mixed Reviews From Publishers, Wall Street Journal
- Mobile influences retailers’ shift to loyalty programs, forgetting traditional coupons, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Mobile transactions average $35 less than desktop, but retailers can change that, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- One in Five iOS Devices in the US Are Limiting Ad Tracking, www.emarketer.com
- Why Do Mobile Conversion Rates Still Stink?, www.adweek.com
- 9 Easy Ways to Monitor Your Company’s Image Online, smallbiztrends.com
- Instagram, FedEx, Twitter Among Most Trusted by Small Businesses, Alignable Says, smallbiztrends.com
- “It’s a self-esteem killer”: Influencers are unhappy with Snapchat’s removal of autoplay, digiday.com
- ‘Tis the Season: “Sleigh” Your Holiday Social Media, www.verticalresponse.com
- Facebook gives users local ballot guides in voting initiative, techcrunch.com
- Facebook Reach Objective: Cap Ad Frequency While Maximizing Reach, www.jonloomer.com
- Facebook tests Snapchat-style camera special effects with ephemeral sharing, techcrunch.com
- I am in a test for Twitter’s new @ reply design and it is a mess, techcrunch.com
- Instagram Partners: Helping Businesses Grow, blog.business.instagram.com
- Millennials <3 Snapchat: 15 Tips on How to Use Snapchat for Business, www.bruceclay.com
- New Twitter Website Conversions Objective, blog.adstage.io
- What Twitter Moments Means for Small Businesses, www.adweek.com
- What’s New for Facebook Business in October, www.facebook.com
- Where Facebook Ads Are Beating Google, www.beyondthepaid.com
- 360 Video for Marketers: What You Need to Know, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Contently Case Story: How Babbel Built Its Global Video Strategy, contently.com
- Facebook Introduces Halloween Reactions, Masks in Facebook Live, www.adweek.com
- OTT Beats Mobile Video On Brand Lift In Hulu Ad Effectiveness Study, adexchanger.com
- Twitter Couldn’t Hold Onto Vine’s Audience—or the Stars It Created, Bloomberg
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.
New on MarTech