Marketing Day: Yahoo Updates Gemini, YouTube Brings Cards To TrueView & 10% Of Twitter Is Spam
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web. From Marketing Land: xAd Launches Blueprints To Track In-Store, Not Just Near-Store, Visits For Location Marketing The technology relies on physical boundaries of businesses rather than navigational map data. Twitter Kills #Discover Tab On […]
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- xAd Launches Blueprints To Track In-Store, Not Just Near-Store, Visits For Location Marketing
The technology relies on physical boundaries of businesses rather than navigational map data.
- Twitter Kills #Discover Tab On Mobile, Moves Trending Topics To Search Page
Trending topics on iOS and Android devices will now include descriptions to help people understand context behind the spiking trend.
- Yahoo Gemini Adds Over 40 Flurry Personas To Native Ad Targeting
Personas harness data based on activity among heavy users of particular apps.
- Video Ad Tech Company Pixability Lands $18 Million Financing Round
Boston-based company says funds will be used to expand video ad platform and grow internationally.
- YouTube Brings Cards To TrueView Ads To Boost Interaction
Cards will be available across screens. Advertisers will pay per views or Card clicks.
- Hostess #OpeningDay Tweet ‘Mistake’ Garners Brand Exactly What It Hoped For
A social media “oops” by a big brand is sure to generate lots of criticism and smug commentary. Why not capitalize on that phenomenon?
- Twitter Is Testing A New Search Experience With More Filtering Options
The experiment cleans up the display and gives the ability to filter by live results, tweets from people you follow and tweets from people near you.
- Data Collection Of The Future: Going Beyond The Tag
As the FCC’s new Net neutrality rules reshape the digital ecosystem, columnist Josh Manion explains what it means for the future of marketing.
- How You Can Improve Your Order Confirmation Emails + 4 Inspirational Examples
Many etailers provide an amazing user experience all the way to the purchase, then send an ugly text-only order confirmation email. Columnist Andrew King urges marketers to take charge of this important touchpoint.
- The One Thing That Can Save Your Company’s Dying Community
Columnist Jim Williams explains the difference between an online community and an advocate marketing program and how the two can work together.
- Report: Nearly 10% Of Twitter Is Spam & Brands Have It The Worst
The conversation around brands on Twitter may be more spammy than you think. With some brands seeing upwards of 75+% of discussion due to spam, marketers need to fine tune their metrics.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Bing Ads Adding Support For Upgraded URLs
- Link Risk Management: Are You Using This Critical SEO Tactic?
- Putting “Mobilegeddon” In Perspective
- How To Track Your AdWords Competitors Over Time Using Auction Insights
- Google Shares AdWords “Store Visits” Metric Conversion Lift Data
- Google Says The Penguin & Panda Algorithms Still Require Manual Data Pushes
- Microsoft & Getty Images Announce Partnership & Drop Infringement Lawsuit Over Bing Images
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Affiliate Programs: Why You Should Build a ‘Second Audience’ for Your Business, www.copyblogger.com
Blogs & Blogging
- All Different Types of Blog Posts, ignitevisibility.com
- How to Add CTAs to Your Blog for Higher Conversions, blog.crazyegg.com
- How to Perform Blogger Outreach the Right Way, www.blogherald.com
- Google, Microsoft Battle Over the Value of Patents in Tech Standards, recode.net
- Hillary Clinton hires Google executive to be chief technology officer, www.washingtonpost.com
- Tumblr is getting sucked into the Yahoo mothership, www.businessinsider.com
- 25 Stats Content Marketers Need to Know, contently.com
- 7 Tips for Content Marketing Success, for Ecommerce, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Content Marketing Tools A to Z That You Can Use in 2015 and Beyond, www.toprankblog.com
- Why “Content Marketing” is the Wrong Thing to Measure, customerthink.com
- Lies Your Optimization Guru Told You, conversionxl.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 5+ Power Words & Techniques for Writing More Persuasive Landing Pages, www.wordstream.com
- A Writing GPS: Step-by-Step Directions for Writing Your Next Piece of Content, www.annhandley.com
- Online mortgage applications: banks need to improve UX, econsultancy.com
- Strategic Service Design on the Fly, uxmag.com
- The Important User Experience You’re Probably Ignoring, www.usertesting.com
- How to Keep a Domain Registration Private, www.domaininvesting.com
- The 3 Biggest Challenges Facing New gTLDs, domainnamewire.com
- What Taylor Swift Can Teach Your Company About Protecting Its Brand Online, www.fastcompany.com
- 5 Ways to Make Your Product Shipping More Brandable, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Are you Leveraging your Retailer’s Audience?, www.socialbro.com
- Friends and Family discounts: just another name for a loyalty program?, blog.returnpath.com
- How Often Do Americans Shop Online?, www.marketingprofs.com
- Oyster takes aim at Amazon with new e-book store, lands all ‘Big Five’ publishers, www.geekwire.com
- The US just overtook China as the world’s best place for e-commerce, qz.com
- Will Amazon Dash be an ecommerce breakthrough for CPG brands?, econsultancy.com
- 5 Simple Strategies to Improve Your Email Open Rates, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Companies Are Sending the Same Email Campaign More than Once – Here’s How to Fix That, blog.movableink.com
- What Email Marketers Can Learn From Late Show With David Letterman, www.marketingprofs.com
General Internet Marketing
- Here’s Why Real-Time Marketing Won’t Work (and What Will), contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Learning How to Everything Part 1: 5 Tools All Online Marketers Should Use, authoritylabs.com
- Mapping the Customer Journey: A New Vision for Digital Marketing, www.silverpop.com
- Still Sticking With Those Tried-But-True Marketing Tactics?, www.cmswire.com
- Why You Need Earned Media In Your Marketing And PR Mix, heidicohen.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Hone Launches Platform for Content Marketers, Publishers and Brands, www.marketwired.com
- Introducing Intelligence: Smart Social Insights for a New Age of Business, www.spredfast.com
- USD 1 Billion Invested in Marketing Technology Companies in January – March 2015, www.martechadvisor.com
- What’s Wrong with Social Collaboration Tools? Everything, www.cmswire.com
- How Programmatic Pioneer RocketFuel Thinks About Location on Mobile, streetfightmag.com
- Mobile Engagement and Retention Increase in Q1 2015, www.adweek.com
- Pennzoil Ponders Its Next Mobile Step, adexchanger.com
- The Apple Watch reviews are in, and they’re uncharacteristically meh across the board, qz.com
- The Report About Smartphone Use Every Email Marketer Should Read, blog.movableink.com
- Three Elements of a Successful Integrated Mobile Strategy, www.marketingprofs.com
- Why Target’s gone app crazy, digiday.com
- 5 Tips on Mastering the Art of the Tweet, www.adweek.com
- 6 Hyperlocal Platforms That Transform Social Media Into Data, streetfightmag.com
- 8 Steps to Social Selling, smallbiztrends.com
- Calling out media double standard on promoted hashtags, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Does Your Social Media Audience Also Follow Your Competitors?, simplymeasured.com
- Facebook to Page Admins: Your Typical Response Time Is…, www.adweek.com
- Google wants to save us from spoilers on social media, qz.com
- How We Doubled Our Facebook Clicks in One Month, blog.bufferapp.com
- Millennials Smile for Snapchat, www.emarketer.com
- Old Navy Among First Brands to Use Instagram’s Carousel Ads, Ad Age
- Social Marketing Redefined: Audience Retargeting Cookies, www.aimclearblog.com
- Social Media Tools That Help Optimize Your Time, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Stuart Weitzman debuts Instagram-based ad campaign, www.chainstoreage.com
- The Science of Emotions and Virality on Social Media, www.adweek.com
- What “Better Call Saul” Can Teach Us About Marketing on Twitter, simplymeasured.com
- Who’s Talking? What You Need to Know About Social, www.cmswire.com
- Why I Publish on LinkedIn: My Tribe is Here, blog.linkedin.com
- Are Meerkat and Periscope Good News or Bad, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Every Media Buyer Needs to Know these 5 Digital Video Trends, www.adknowledge.com
- Video Ad Platform Zefr Tunes In To SoundCloud, adexchanger.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.