Marketing Day: The MarTech landscape, a new normal for brands & Twitter’s 10th anniversary
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Scott Brinker shares his thinking behind this year’s huge MarTech Landscape
Mar 21, 2016 by Barry Levine
Such as: companies with “blue” in their name, the “third dimension” in digital marketing and the possible peaking of new martech firms.
- Google Now allows content blocking from publishers and sources you don’t like
Mar 21, 2016 by Greg Sterling
For some time, Google has allowed users to customize various aspects of Google Now. But that didn’t extend to the publishers and content sources Google was showing (Google Now stories) based on users’ search histories and other social data. Google News has long allowed customization.
- Get up close with PPC KPIs to improve your performance
Mar 21, 2016 by Matt Umbro
What are the primary metrics that define success for your PPC campaigns? Columnist Matt Umbro explores the pros and cons of optimizing for some common paid search metrics.
- Local SEO beyond the browser
Mar 21, 2016 by Marcus Miller
Are you making the most of offline advertising to complement your local SEO efforts? Columnist Marcus Miller explains the benefits of connecting your digital and physical marketing.
- Survey: More than half of customers will defect unless their feedback is recognized
Mar 21, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Companies tend to think of their apps as marketing or e-commerce channels. Apps can also be the source of valuable customer feedback; however, most companies are failing to utilize them for customer insights.
- The new normal: Changing the dynamics between brands and shoppers
Mar 21, 2016 by James Green
Today’s consumers are in control, and expectations are high. Columnist James Green says brands need to respond to the new normal by providing customers with the experience they expect and want.
- Twitter celebrates brands and advertisers on its 10th birthday
Mar 21, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
A look at some of the stand-out Tweets and campaigns from marketers a decade in.
- Infographic: The 2016 Marketing Technology Landscape
Mar 21, 2016 by Marketing Land Infographics
Almost 4,000 companies are now part of the marketing technology landscape, a huge leap from the 150 itemized back in 2011.
- 5 steps to leverage the power of affiliates in your email marketing
Mar 21, 2016 by Daniel Faggella
How do you build a massive email list of buyers? Building affiliate relationships is key. Columnist Daniel Faggella outlines five affiliate marketing strategies to get you started.
- 10 tactics for handling haters on Facebook
Mar 21, 2016 by Chris Silver Smith
How do you manage negative postings on Facebook? Columnist Chris Silver Smith discusses some tools and methods to help you alleviate the situation and win the battle against negativity.
- On Twitter’s 10th birthday, why Madison Avenue execs #LoveTwitter
Mar 21, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Unlike Wall Street, Madison Avenue is bullish on Twitter’s prospects despite its audience growth struggles. On its 10th birthday, agency execs explain why.
- Startup YesPath launches AI-driven platform that automatically targets marketing content
Mar 21, 2016 by Barry Levine
Headed by two ex-Salesforce execs, new San Francisco-based company wants to help automate the marketing side of building relationships.
- Usermind launches its platform as “glue between systems” that shows what works
Mar 21, 2016 by Barry Levine
It’s like workflow automator Zapier plus business data collector Domo, says the CEO.
- Twitter’s Jack Dorsey: 140-character limit is staying
Mar 18, 2016 by Matt McGee
CEO tells NBC’s “Today” show that Twitter will keep its 140-character limit on tweets.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Doodle 4 Google 2016 student winner pays tribute to her African heritage
- Why costs for local SEO campaigns vary
- 5 dos and don’ts of managing a new international PPC account
- Google’s right-side Adpocalypse: What really happened (DATA)
- Vernal Equinox Google doodle welcomes the first day of spring
- Bing Ads testing Social Extensions: Link search ads to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 3 myths about affiliate marketing, www.internetretailer.com
- A new metric for CMOs: The Magic Growth Number, venturebeat.com
- Five Metrics for Tracking Display Video Ads, 3qdigital.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 11 Blog Results That Defy Conventional Wisdom, www.jeffbullas.com
- 5 Blogging Strategies I’m Betting on This Year, www.problogger.net
- An Introduction to Landing Pages for Bloggers, www.problogger.net
- Yahoo, Facebook in Ad Partnership Talks Over Tumblr, www.theinformation.com
- 68% of Digital Content Providers Geo-Block in the EU, torrentfreak.com
- Medium spins off Matter into new company owned by Evan Williams, www.capitalnewyork.com
- Opera’s $1.2B sale: Shocking underdog victory or cruel twist of fate 21 years in the making?, VentureBeat
- Periscope Snags McKinney’s Peter Nicholson as First CCO, adage.com
- 40 Content Marketing Tools that will make your job easier in 2016, Site Visibility
- Don’t Follow a Funnel, Create Content for an Engine [Research], contentmarketinginstitute.com
- NBCU’s New Studio Is Creating Branded Content for Viewers Beyond Its Own Platforms, www.adweek.com
- New Republic Spinning Off Content Marketing Agency, adage.com
- Is Live Chat Support Killing Your Landing Page Conversions?, www.wordstream.com
- Landing Page 101: How to Make Your Best Landing Page, Yet, authoritylabs.com
- The 6 Laws Of Landing Page Optimization: Do You Know The Basics?, blog.crazyegg.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Five Best Practices for Becoming a Data-Driven Design Organization, www.uxmatters.com
- Key Marketing Lessons from the MarketingExperiments Copywriting Contest, www.convinceandconvert.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- Spotify Launches Display Ads That Guarantee Viewability, www.adweek.com
- 5 Best Tools for Coming Up with the Perfect Domain Name, www.blogherald.com
- Alibaba is working to bring virtual reality into its e-commerce services, techcrunch.com
- Amazon nearly doubles lobbying spend with focus on delivery, www.retaildive.com
- Amazon’s lessons for luxury, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Ecommerce Is A $341.7 Billion-dollar Industry – Can SMBs Get A Piece Of The Pie?, streetfightmag.com
- Five tips for retailers targeting international expansion, econsultancy.com
- How to translate your site for global markets (even if you don’t speak the language), www.internetretailer.com
- Retail Browsing Is Shifting to Mobile, Why Isn’t Buying?, adage.com
- True Life: I’m Addicted to Amazon (A Customer Retention Story), blog.marketo.com
- How to Create a Reusable Email Template, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Improve Your Email Marketing With These 5 Tips from Marketo, www.cmswire.com
- The Impact of Responsive Design on Email Engagement, www.marketingprofs.com
General Internet Marketing
- Essential Skills Which Will Help You Thrive As a Hybrid Marketer, www.martechadvisor.com
- Managing Multi-Channel Marketing (Without Losing Your Mind!), blog.kissmetrics.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Centro Automates Political Ad-Buying at Scale on Brand-Safe News and Information Sites, www.centro.net
- Marketing Technologists: Who They Are and Why They Matter, www.marketingprofs.com
- Data: 37% of Global iPhone Users Use iPhone 5S or Older, www.adweek.com
- Mobile Will Dominate New Advertising Dollars Through 2018, adexchanger.com
- That Magic Moment: How Mobile Moments are Changing the Marketing Playbook, www.martechadvisor.com
- The Industry Grapples With Mobile Viewability Growing Pains, adexchanger.com
- U.S. top court agrees to hear Samsung-Apple patent fight, Reuters
- Thank you! Love, Twitter, Twitter Blog
- 10 ways marketing changed with Twitter, www.Twitter.com
- 3 Ways To Be a Better Listener on Twitter, www.adweek.com
- 4 Awesome Snapchat Marketing Case Studies, contently.com
- 7 Social Media Marketing Habits to Break NOW, www.toprankblog.com
- As Snapchat Aspires To Become A Dominant Mobile Ad Player, Questions Loom, adexchanger.com
- Facebook Instant Articles: What Marketers and Publishers Need to Know, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Facebook’s ad platform now guesses at your race based on your behavior, Ars Technica
- Fans Who Follow Bands on Instagram Spend More Money on Music and Live Shows, www.adweek.com
- Instagram could learn from Snapchat’s selfie features, venturebeat.com
- Resizing Social Media Images: Easier Thank You Think!, www.internetmarketingninjas.com
- Social Media Expert Checklist: Questions To Determine Who Is And Isn’t An Expert, www.searchenginepeople.com
- The death of Instagram for brands, techcrunch.com
- 3 Ways to Analyze Facebook Video Performance, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Digital Video Advertising Continues to Expand, www.emarketer.com
- How Neiman Marcus used live video to give customers a front row seat at New York Fashion Week, www.Twitter.com
- How the BBC, Sky Sports and other UK media are using Facebook Live video, digiday.com
- How Virtual Reality Could Spawn Rapid Commerce Growth, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
- Millennials Ensure 46% of Video is Consumed Via Mobile, www.reelseo.com
- Product Videos Reach Customers and Boost Sales, multichannelmerchant.com
- Video ads: What works and doesn’t work with younger users, venturebeat.com
- What to expect from virtual reality in 2016, venturebeat.com