Marketing Day: Microsoft Build Live Blog, YouTube At NewFronts & Yelp Earnings
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on MarTech and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Earth Day Efforts Encouraged Californians To Share “Acts of Green” On Social Media
A state initiative sought to use the power of social media influence to encourage resource conservation.
- Size Matters: Phablets Reach 20 Percent Penetration Of Smartphone Market
When it comes to smartphones (screen) size matters. According to data from Flurry (Yahoo), so-called phablets now constitute 20 percent of all active smartphones globally.
- E-Commerce: Smartphone Traffic Grows 269 Pct, 90 Pct Of Carts Abandoned
Since Black Friday 2014 e-retailers have come to recognize that smartphones are now a major force in online shopping.
- Everything Marketers Want To Know About Social Media Marketing But Are Too Afraid To Ask
Contributor Sahil Jain shares the top questions asked by marketers at a recent social media event, along with the expert panelists’ answers.
- Live Blog: Microsoft Build 2015 Opening Keynote, Day 2
It’s the second day of Microsoft’s annual developers conference, Build, happening in San Francisco. Once again, it’s opening with a keynote.
- BrightRoll Gives Advertisers Access To Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings
“We are doubling-down on our efforts to give advertisers the ability to measure performance across the breadth of devices,” says CEO.
- Top 20 Most Useful Mobile Business Apps For 2015
Looking for the best apps to serve your needs as a marketer? Columnist Aaron Strout rounds up his top picks for personal productivity, travel and more.
- NewFronts 2015: YouTube Opens Brandcast With Audience Metrics & Closes With Bruno Mars
Wojcicki said YouTube reaches more 18 to 49 year olds on mobile than any cable network, with site visits up 40% year-over-year.
- New: Twitter Makes Promoted Tweets Less Obvious
Twitter has removed the yellow badge from its Promoted Tweet ad unit in an effort to make sponsored tweets blend more seamlessly with the stream.
- Yelp Posts 55 Percent Revenue Growth ($118.5M) But Disappoints Investors
Yelp announced Q1 earnings this afternoon of $118.5 million, which was 55 percent growth over Q1 2014. However the market had expected revenues $119.8 million.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Wanted: Session Ideas For SMX East
- Google Testing Faster & Lightweight Mobile Search & Optimizing Your Web Page For Slow Connections
- Auditing Hreflang Annotations: The Most Common Issues & How To Avoid Them
- Expedia Adds Emoji Hotel To Its Title Tags To Increase Click Through Rates In Google
- Is Google Showing Fewer Ads Per Search?
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 6 new analytics tools marketers can’t live without, www.imediaconnection.com
- Visual Marketing: Creatives Need Data Too, www.emarketer.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 3 ways scheduling will make you a better blogger, www.problogger.net
- 5 Fashion Brand Blogs That Are Killing the Game, contently.com
- 6 Blog Posts Types that Still Work, www.searchenginejournal.com
- How Bloggers Can Help During Times of Tragedy, www.blogherald.com
- Brace Yourself: Microsoft Wants to Guess How Old You Are, blogs.wsj.com
- Leaked Lyft Document Reveals a Costly Battle With Uber, Bloomberg
- Microsoft has a new plan to capitalize on Apple and Google’s success, qz.com
- Yahoo CEO’s 2014 Compensation Valued at $42.1 Million, Wall Street Journal
- Yahoo Unveils New Customer Care and Data Center in Lockport, NY, yahoo.tumblr.com
- 6 Questions to Answer When Launching a B2B Content Marketing Program, www.komarketingassociates.com
- Content Creation Versus Content Sharing, www.blogherald.com
- How to Clean Up Your Content for More Credibility, www.convinceandconvert.com
- How to Create Boring-Industry Content that Gets Shared, moz.com
- If You’re Not at Least Thinking About Branded Content, You’re Missing Out, www.adweek.com
- In the Big Data Era, Content is Still King, contently.com
- Staying on Track: Best Practices for Managing Content Marketing Teams, Tasks, Time, and Budgets, www.distilled.net
- Uncovering Your Content’s Value in a Mobile World, www.cmswire.com
- What to Do When You Absolutely, Positively Must Know if Your Content Will Rock, www.copyblogger.com
- 14 Online Marketing Tips – Design to Conversion, www.toprankblog.com
- The Rise of the Live-Demo Homepage, blog.crazyegg.com
- Tips to Create Signup Forms That Drive Conversions, www.martechadvisor.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Responsive design helps double mobile revenue for e-retailer Treadmill Doctor, www.internetretailer.com
- Dumb ICANN bug revealed secret financial data to new gTLD applicants, domainincite.com
- Amazon offers Chinese online shoppers 1.6 million imported items, www.internetretailer.com
- How to build an effective B2B multichannel commerce platform, econsultancy.com
- Mobile Purchases to Account for a Third of UK Retail Ecommerce Sales, www.emarketer.com
- Stop E-Commerce Window Shopping! Ways to Actually Convert More Online Customers, blog.marketo.com
- TechOnline fashion mall Lyst raises a fashionable $40 million, fortune.com
- Email & the UK Election: The Good, the Bad, & the Undelivered, blog.returnpath.com
- Five Low-Cost Things You Should Be Doing Today: Email Edition, amyafrica.com
- How to Plan an Email Marketing Launch, www.cmswire.com
General Internet Marketing
- A Marketer’s Most Important Question: Why?, adexchanger.com
- A True CMO Focuses on Business Results, www.cmswire.com
- How to Build a Multi-Million Dollar Brand, Part 2: Defining the Brand, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Using Psychology to Enhance Your Marketing Efforts, www.compukol.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Collective Sells Ensemble Dynamic Creative Optimization Technology to Adobe, Market Wired
- Emma Unveils Major Product Enhancements at Marketing United Conference, www.businesswire.com
- Full Circle CRM Helps Vidyard Streamline Sales and Marketing Processes, www.prnewswire.com
- Kenshoo Intent-Driven Audiences Wins Third-Party Marketing Innovation Award, www.realwire.com
- Nielsen and Roku Form Industry-First Strategic Agreement, Nielsen
- Riddle Makes It Easy To Create Buzzfeed Style Listicles, thenextweb.com
- Sprocket Express Celebrates 10th Anniversary, www.marketwired.com
- 29 martech unicorns: There are now almost 30 $1B+ marketing technology vendors, venturebeat.com
- 5 Ways to Create a Marketing Technology Frankenstein, www.cmswire.com
- Marketers Must Lead the Next Phase of the Ad-Tech Revolution, adage.com
- The Inevitable Convergence of Advertising, Sales, and Marketing Technologies, www.inc.com
- Apple opens up early access to App Analytics for developers on iTunes Connect, appleinsider.com
- Mobile as Part of Integrated Marketing: New Research Revealed, thedma.org
- Mobile payments adoption tied to security technology, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- U.S. Mobile Ad Revenues to Reach $42B by 2019, blog.biakelsey.com
- The 10 Most Reputable Companies in the World, www.marketingprofs.com
- Facebook exec blasts growing wave of European privacy investigations, VentureBeat
- 10 Essential Pinterest Tools to Drive Brand Engagement, www.searchenginepeople.com
- 8 Top Instagram Accounts Marketers Need To Keep Their Eye On, www.jeffbullas.com
- A Facebook change could make it harder for retailers to gather customer data, www.internetretailer.com
- Facebook Tests Feature Letting Users Pick Pages, Friends They’d Want To See Atop News Feed, www.adweek.com
- Get All Your LinkedIn Advertising Questions Answered, blog.adstage.io
- How Instagram’s emoji hashtags became the new political organizing tool, qz.com
- How one publisher is working around Facebook’s pre-roll ad ban, digiday.com
- How to Set Up a Facebook Page for Business, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- How to Spend a Social Media Budget, blog.bufferapp.com
- Optimise Your Facebook Fan Page, www.koozai.com
- Shed the Light on Your Dark Social Activity, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Snapchat Just Hired a Big-Time CNN Reporter. Here’s Why, contently.com
- Social Media Marketing Tools Aren’t Cutting It, www.cmswire.com
- The Shifting Landscape of Facebook Advertising, www.socialbakers.com
- When Going to Market, LinkedIn Is B2Bs’ Social Go-To, www.emarketer.com
- As Hill Holliday Hits The Gas On Self-Serve, It Turns To TubeMogul For Video, adexchanger.com
- Four Reasons Video Marketing on Instagram Is So Much Better Than on Vine, www.marketingprofs.com
- Time Inc.’s Digital Video Slate Looks a Lot Like Cable TV, adage.com
- Vevo Will Use Its Music Video Expertise to Help Brands Create Custom Content, www.adweek.com
- Video is Everywhere Today: Are You Keeping Up?, www.adweek.com
- Why Uproxx is betting big on Facebook video, digiday.com
- YouTube Space Berlin: new home for YouTube creators in Germany and beyond, youtubecreator.blogspot.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.
New on MarTech