Marketing Day: IAB’s ad-blocking study, mobile wallets & chatbots
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Does the IAB’s first ad-blocking study provide the “missing stat”?
Jul 27, 2016 by Barry Levine
The report offers some new insights into what it will take to keep people away from ad blockers.
- How to use device bid adjustments, straight from Google
Jul 27, 2016 by Matt Lawson
AdWords will soon have the ability to set bids specific to each device type. Columnist and Googler Matt Lawson explains Google’s official POV about what that means when managing your campaigns.
- TrackMaven Report: What your content says about your social media marketing strategy
Jul 27, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
TrackMaven shows which industries perform best on Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin and Facebook–among other things.
- Local businesses trump big businesses when it comes to delivering on-site updates
Jul 27, 2016 by Myles Anderson
Columnist Myles Anderson shares the results of a recent BrightLocal survey about the impact of on-site SEO on rankings for local businesses.
- Not just for payments, mobile wallets an underused consumer channel — [survey]
Jul 27, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Urban Airship survey showcases broader potential of mobile wallets.
- Pokémon Go, augmented reality and the future of local marketing
Jul 27, 2016 by Brian Smith
What might the popular new mobile game mean for local marketers? Columnist Brian Smith explores.
- Use Power BI to supercharge your SEO
Jul 27, 2016 by Chris Liversidge
Columnist Chris Liversidge explains how to take advantage of Microsoft’s Power BI (Business Intelligence) rollout to collect and analyze more data than ever before — and find the SEO performance gaps you didn’t know about.
- The art of link building: Why creating connections is the key to success
Jul 27, 2016 by Ryan Shelley
Columnist Ryan Shelley explains how good, sustainable link building is not just about getting a backlink, but about creating lasting connections that provide value to users.
- 3 ways marketers can use speed to their advantage
Jul 27, 2016 by Scott Vaughan
Speed now means more than getting your product to market first. Columnist Scott Vaughan discusses our rapidly changing industry and how marketers can use speed to take advantage of it.
- 8 tips from 7 months of local sponsorship marketing
Jul 27, 2016 by Megan Hannay
Looking to dive into local sponsorships? Columnist Megan Hannay offers eight lessons learned that will help you plan your strategy.
- Marketing. Tech. Management. See the MarTech Europe agenda.
Jul 27, 2016 by Marketing Land
Personalization. Predictive technologies. Experimenting at scale. Get the customer experience right and reap great rewards. Botch the implementation by ignoring the organizational/people issues, and you’ll miss the window of advantage marketing technologies provide.
- Pinterest poaches Snapchat’s ad research boss Gunnard Johnson
Jul 27, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Pinterest has hired Johnson to be its head of measurement science and insights at a time when measurement has never been more important to digital ad sales.
- Flok wants to bring chatbots to the small business masses
Jul 27, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Company’s app enables bots to interact with consumers on behalf of SMBs.
- Apple earnings: Company beats with $42 billion, iPhone SE above expectations
Jul 26, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Device sales were down across the board, but analysts had expected worse.
- Twitter’s ad biz struggles under pressure on video ad pricing
Jul 26, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Twitter has had to lower its video ad viewability standard to remain competitive and be able to compete on volume over value.
- Qualia partners with NinthDecimal to attribute a physical store visit to a specific device and ad
Jul 26, 2016 by Barry Levine
This collaboration, Qualia says, points to the benefit of its recent merger, which combined intent data with cross-device targeting.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- YP brings search and location data together in “audience cartography”
- AdWords Editor updated to support expanded text ads
- Google returns special presidential candidates box that previously omitted Donald Trump
- The definitive SEO audit part 3 of 3: Off-site
- SEO requirements for a new website platform
- Google: There is no PageRank dilution when using 301, 302, or 30x redirects anymore
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 7 Call Analytics Platforms Using Machine Learning to Identify Caller Intent, streetfightmag.com
- Four big brands on the state of digital analytics, econsultancy.com
- The Hidden Side Effects of Using Big Data to Better Understand Your Customers, blog.kissmetrics.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Coming soon: Money from your Tumblr, staff.tumblr.com
- How to Start a Amazing Beauty Blog With WordPress, www.wpexplorer.com
- Facebook and Google succeed because they’re governed as “benevolent dictatorships”, qz.com
- Jack Dorsey on Twitter’s harassment problem: ‘Abuse is not part of civil discourse’, venturebeat.com
- LinkedIn acquires Chicago-based PointDrive, www.chicagotribune.com
- 5 Rules for Publishing Accessible Content, www.practicalecommerce.com
- 8 Traffic Driving Super-Tips For Your Content, smallbiztrends.com
- Content Marketing Generated a 5,100% ROI for Health Care Innovator Optum, sherpablog.marketingsherpa.com
- Sales Enablement Starts Where Marketing Content Leaves Off, www.emarketer.com
- The 4th Reason for Content Marketing: A Profit Center, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- The Ridiculous Amount of Content Consumed Every Minute, contently.com
- A Complete Content Funnel for the B2B Buyer’s Journey, blog.crazyegg.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 5 tips for writing chatbot scripts, venturebeat.com
- Creating Effective Titles & Headlines, www.copypress.com
- Four Ways to Woo New Customers With Sweet-Talking Web Copy, www.marketingprofs.com
- How To Create Icons In Adobe XD, www.smashingmagazine.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- New Responsive Display Ads: What You Need to Know, www.wordstream.com
- 5 retention strategies for online retailers, www.internetretailer.com
- Amazon debuts a dedicated shop for Kickstarter products, techcrunch.com
- Shopper marketing influences long-term behavior in digital age, www.luxurydaily.com
- What Flavor Is Your Shopping Cart?, www.practicalecommerce.com
- 3 Secret Gmail Buttons To Get Your Cold Emails Opened, www.jeffbullas.com
- 4 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Adding Humor to Your Email Content, movableink.com
- 4 Things Your Welcome Email Must Do (and Probably Doesn’t), blogs.constantcontact.com
- Newsletter editors are the new important person in newsrooms, digiday.com
General Internet Marketing
- 3 Advanced Influencer Marketing Strategies for Noisy Markets, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Best Practices for Digital Advertising A/B Testing, www.toprankblog.com
- Emojis Make Brands Fun, Relatable, www.emarketer.com
- Find Out Whether Surveys Can Lead to Better Personalization, www.martechadvisor.com
- The Disconnect Between Marketers and Influencers, www.adweek.com
- You Can Now Determine Return on Ad Spend Across All Channels, www.tune.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- HourlyNerd Rebrands as Catalant, www.prnewswire.com
- New Smaato Demand Platform Eliminates Mobile Advertising Waste By Giving Demand Partners Real-Time Traffic Segmentation Control, www.webwire.com
- Video, Mobile, and Product Ads Drive Q2 2016 Growth, kenshoo.com
- Wpromote Acquires Standing Dog, www.prnewswire.com
- Find a Marketing Automation Platform that Grows, blog.marketo.com
- How Ad Tech Companies Can Retain Their Appeal To Talent, adexchanger.com
- Successful Senior Marketers Must Understand Marketing Tech, www.emarketer.com
- Live-updating AMPs, amphtml.wordpress.com
- 3 tips for app developers during the net neutrality debate, venturebeat.com
- Apple Pay Now Accounts for Three-Fourths of U.S. Contactless Payments, fortune.com
- Mobile-First Marketing Will Keep You Ahead of the Competition, www.marketingprofs.com
- Why an app download is not enough, www.internetretailer.com
- Google Play Family Library: Share what you love with the ones you love, Official Google Blog
- It’s Here! Introducing the New and Improved Yahoo Messenger Desktop App, yahoo.tumblr.com
- ‘We were wasting time churning out tweets’: The Economist guide to quality over quantity, digiday.com
- 4 Tools for Social Customer Service, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- A Comprehensive Facebook Ads Checklist to Increase Email Acquisition, www.adweek.com
- Facebook Advertisers Can Create Custom Audiences Based on Time Spent on Websites, www.adweek.com
- Snapchat Memories: All You Need to Know, blog.bufferapp.com
- Three ways to encourage social sharing in a foreign market, econsultancy.com
- Who “Owns” Social Media Data at Your Company?, simplymeasured.com
- Why Your Social Media Follower Counts Mean Zip, www.cmswire.com
- The State of Online Video in 2016, www.marketingprofs.com
- Tim Cook is surprisingly confident about the promise of augmented reality, venturebeat.com
- Twitter’s video push seen taking time to fast-forward growth, www.reuters.com
- Why Facebook is the 800-Pound Gorilla of Livestreaming, www.searchenginejournal.com
- YouTube star PewDiePie’s firm rakes in $8 million profit, www.reuters.com