Marketing Day: Headline hacks, significant changes to AdWords & Twitter news
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on MarTech and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- MobileFuse launches a “curated” open platform for selected publishers
May 24, 2016 by Barry Levine
Mobile ad platform partners with programmatic platform AppNexus to create MFX.
- WATCH: Google lets you speak in natural language & get analytics reports
May 24, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
Think of it as Google Now, Siri or Alexa for Google Analytics. Speak the stat you want, get the answer, courtesy of machine learning.
- 5 brilliant headline hacks for crazy high organic click-through rates
May 24, 2016 by Larry Kim
Just say no to low CTR! Columnist Larry Kim explains his tactics for improving click-through rates on organic search listings.
- Google to expand “Store Visits” online-to-offline foot traffic measurement
May 24, 2016 by Greg Sterling
When offline visits are factored in mobile search, ROI goes way up.
- 10 tips for building a local brand that will boost your local search ranking
May 24, 2016 by Wesley Young
Branding is often viewed as the domain of large national businesses. Yet small businesses will benefit from branding strategically on a local level. Columnist Wesley Young takes a look at ways to boost your profile and your page rank with local branding strategies.
- Local SEO doesn’t happen in a vacuum
May 24, 2016 by Greg Gifford
Columnist Greg Gifford shows that when it comes to retaining local SEO clients, setting expectations and providing education is key.
- Google announces significant changes to AdWords bidding and text ads
May 24, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
New responsive display ads shows Google’s focus on fulfilling native mobile inventory.
- 3 tips for success from today’s marketing rock stars
May 24, 2016 by Mary Wallace
With marketing evolving at a rapid pace, what does it take to shine? Columnist Mary Wallace gathers some insight from three industry veterans.
- WP Engine launches first page-level performance tool intended for WordPress sites
May 24, 2016 by Barry Levine
A one-second page load delay leads to 11 percent fewer page views, so this new dashboard tool is intended to deliver a WordPress-specific tuneup.
- Making Father’s Day count: How-to tips for email marketers
May 24, 2016 by Jason Warnock
With Father’s Day fast approaching, are you ready to deliver an effective email campaign? Columnist Jason Warnock offers some tips on how to resonate with shoppers and make the most of the June 19 holiday.
- Official: Twitter will stop counting media & usernames against 140-character limit
May 24, 2016 by Matt McGee
Company also plans to make all replies more visible by removing the need to put a period before a username.
- 5 effective ways to reach customers through live streaming
May 24, 2016 by Jordan Kasteler
Want to build buzz around a new product or connect with your customers? Columnist Jordan Kasteler outlines some live streaming ideas to help your business take advantage of the benefits of video.
- French tax officials perform early morning raid on Google offices in Paris
May 24, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Authorities claim the company owes nearly $1.8 billion in unpaid taxes.
- Facebook responds to Senate inquiry on Trending Topics
May 23, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
Facebook has made some significant changes in Trending Topics after claims were made that content was being kept from high-profile visibility.
- Study shows mobile users’ ad ambivalence, resistance to push notifications
May 23, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Roughly 62 percent of survey respondents never want push notifications or want them less than once per month, even from their “favorite brands.”
- TAG launches “Certified Against Fraud” program
May 23, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
More than 30 companies have signed on to participate in the certification program aimed at eliminating ad fraud.
- Adobe unveils Spark tool suite for small/medium businesses
May 23, 2016 by Barry Levine
The desktop and mobile tools, including several rebranded ones, allow small businesses to create and post announcements, catalogs, explainer videos and marketing stories.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Google has measured 1 billion+ store visits from AdWords ads globally
- Official: Google to roll out Expanded Text Ads for all devices
- Google AdWords to break up tablet & desktop and enable a mobile base bid
- Google now handles at least 2 trillion searches per year
- Saying a third of mobile searches are local, Google brings “Promoted Pins” to Maps
- All the AdWords & Google Analytics changes announced today at Google Performance Summit
- 5 essential skills that great link builders know
- Competitive threats to Google, and what they mean for you
- 5 common digital marketing mistakes (and how to fix them)
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- Free FTC Disclosure Resource for Bloggers, thepma.org
- How to Connect Your WordPress Blog to Medium, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Publishing Blog Posts on Facebook: Increase Engagement, www.blogherald.com
- Your Blog’s Been Hacked! Here’s What You Need to Do, www.blogherald.com
- Apple rehires prominent security pro as encryption fight boils, www.reuters.com
- Google’s chic Paris office was the site of a massive dawn raid by French authorities, qz.com
- Reddit’s head of community leaves after nine months, TechCrunch
- 5 Content Marketing Ideas for June 2016, www.practicalecommerce.com
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Get More Eyes on Your Research, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Content Ideation: How to Ideate Like a Pro, www.copypress.com
- Social Media vs. Content: Where Should You Invest?, www.marketingprofs.com
- Test Your Narrative Strength, www.cmswire.com
- What Content Marketers Can Learn From Journalism with The Daily Dot’s Amy Vernon, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Why Adobe Believes in User-Generated Content Marketing, www.cmswire.com
- 13 Conversion Boosting WordPress Plugins You Should Be Using in 2016, blog.crazyegg.com
- A/B Testing: The Staggering Success of Presidential Optimization and How to Do It Yourself, simplymeasured.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- One Skill that Will Take Your Writing from Good to Great, www.copyblogger.com
- Six Places to Focus to Make your Website a Revenue Generator, sherpablog.marketingsherpa.com
- What were people thinking when they registered these domains?, domainnamewire.com
- 4 Ways to Launch Just Another Mediocre E-Commerce Store, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Amazon isn’t beating other retailers. They are beating themselves, www.internetretailer.com
- EBay’s StubHub to Expand Abroad With Ticketbis Acquisition, www.wsj.com
- How To Rank on Amazon – A Behind The Curtain Look, smallbiztrends.com
- Mobile Shoppers Want to Be Able to See Products, www.emarketer.com
- What does ‘innovation’ in retail look like? 8 leaders weigh in, www.retaildive.com
- Why ASOS is still leading the online retailing pack, econsultancy.com
- Checklist: Grow Your Email List, Grow Your Business, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Eight Online Retail Strategies to Implement Before Q4, www.yesmail.com
General Internet Marketing
- Real Life Marketing Lessons from HBO’s Silicon Valley, www.cmswire.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- 33Across Drives Mobile Publisher Revenue With Launch of In-Feed Video Ad Units, www.businesswire.com
- Bitly’s Got A New Look, bitly.com
- Bluecore Releases Predictive Audiences to Quickly Arm Marketers with ROI-Boosting Insights, www.businesswire.com
- Dynatrace Joins Cloud Foundry Foundation to Support Enterprise Cloud Transformation, www.dynatrace.com
- Evergage Launches Evergage for Email, Enabling Companies to Insert Personalized Content and Recommendations into Email Campaigns, www.evergage.com
- HYFN Announces API Integration with Acxiom For New Facebook Custom Audiences, www.businesswire.com
- InsideView Adds Company Technology Profiles to its Industry-Leading Market Intelligence Platform, www.insideview.com
- Introducing an Experience Upgrade for Constant Contact, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Purch Hires Seasoned Digital Executive to Enhance User Engagement and Build Membership, www.prnewswire.com
- YuMe Partners with StickyADS.tv to Expand Its Premium Video Inventory Globally, www.yume.com
- 5 Marketing Technology Trends on the Horizon, www.martechadvisor.com
- Common Challenges of Marketing-IT Collaborations, www.marketingprofs.com
- How Did Google’s Right Side Ads Impact AdTech? Get the Results., blog.adstage.io
- How Fashion Retailers Can Bounce Back With Digital Marketing and Technology, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Most Ad Tech And Mar Tech Companies Should Stick To Data Processing, adexchanger.com
- 12 examples of persuasive mobile UX from ecommerce app Wish, econsultancy.com
- As Google Doubles Down on Mobile, How Can SMBs Keep Pace?, streetfightmag.com
- A Brief History Of Twitter’s 140-Character Limit, www.fastcompany.com
- Achieve Stellar Results From Facebook And Instagram Remarketing, www.ppchero.com
- Boost B2B Sales with LinkedIn Social Selling, blog.marketo.com
- Facebook apologizes for deleting picture of plus-size model, digiday.com
- Facebook ditches Bing, 800M users now see its own AI text translations, techcrunch.com
- Facebook says an investigation of its trending topics finds “no evidence of systematic political bias”, qz.com
- High-Performing Facebook Ads: It’s a Numbers Game, www.razorsocial.com
- How Snapchat’s millennial-friendly content complements mobile ticketing, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- How to Fine-Tune Your Father’s Day Social Marketing Strategy, simplymeasured.com
- How To Hijack Hashtags, www.koozai.com
- Instagram Partners: Helping Businesses Grow, blog.business.instagram.com
- Pinterest Tools For Marketers And Social Media Managers, www.searchenginepeople.com
- Should Each Franchise Location Have a Separate Facebook Page?, www.searchinfluence.com
- Snapchat Reportedly in the Midst of Raising $200 Million, Raising Valuation to More Than $20 Billion, www.martechadvisor.com
- Snapchat Stickers Are Here, www.adweek.com
- The Biggest Facebook Publishers of April 2016, www.newswhip.com
- The Facebookization Of Instagram Continues – And Everything Else Is Next, adexchanger.com
- Thirty-six percent of consumers are ready to shame you on social, digiday.com
- Trend report: What’s popular on Pinterest this month, blog.pinterest.com
- What Twitter’s New Changes Mean for Social Media Marketers, www.toprankblog.com
- Why buy buttons on Pinterest and Instagram haven’t taken off for retailers, digiday.com
- 6 brands that are getting Instagram video ads right, digiday.com
- ABC News Embraces 360 Video Storytelling, media.fb.com
- Facebook enables Continuous Live Video to power puppycams and more, techcrunch.com
- Facebook to Highlight Moments in Archived Facebook Live Videos With Most Engagement, www.adweek.com
- Think Virtual Reality Doesn’t Make Sense For Your Brand? Think Again, www.cmswire.com
- YouTube brings E3 to you wherever you are, youtube.googleblog.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.
New on MarTech