Marketing Day: App Indexing, The Mobile Gap & Google Removes Ads From Right Side Of Desktop
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Boomtrain Launches Simplified Editor For Emails Tuned By Machine Learning
Feb 22, 2016 by Barry Levine
It’s the same machine learning as before, the company says, but now a marketer can employ it without using developers.
- Pew Survey: 51% Of Americans Say Apple Should Unlock San Bernardino iPhone
Feb 22, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
Even iPhone owners show high support, 47% favoring unlocking to 43% who do not.
- Content Marketing That Drives Conversions
Feb 22, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Relevant, engaging content now plays a critical role in nurturing prospects into the purchase funnel to become customers. How can marketers produce, distribute and optimize well-defined content assets to create deeper prospect engagement and contribute to business goals and bottom-line results?
- App Indexing & The New Frontier Of SEO: App Packs & App Store Search
Feb 22, 2016 by Emily Grossman
In this third and final installment of a series on app indexing and how it impacts search engine optimization, contributor Emily Grossman discusses how to rank apps in Google search results, as well as in Google Play and the iTunes App Store.
- Are Dynamic Search Ad Varieties A Waste Of Your Time?
Feb 22, 2016 by Carrie Albright
Columnist Carrie Albright explores the various types of dynamic ads available to search marketers to help you decide which (if any) may be right for you.
- The Mobile Gap: The Disconnect Between Mobile Behavior And Ad Spending
Feb 22, 2016 by James Green
Columnist James Green believes mobile ad spending needs to catch up with the rise of mobile innovations and consumers’ mobile behavior.
- Inbound Marketing Fundamentals, Part 2: Customizing Your Content For Your Clients & Customers
Feb 22, 2016 by Daniel Faggella
In part 2 of this series, columnist Daniel Faggella discusses how to get results from all the stages of inbound marketing by creating content that speaks to everyone in your audience.
- Amazon Raises Cost Of Minimum Spend For Free Shipping
Feb 22, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Company’s higher threshold for non-book order free shipping may be an effort to drive more Prime memberships.
- 7 Email Trends That Should Die In 2016
Feb 22, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
Looking to step up your email marketing this year? Columnist Tamar Weinberg discusses some outdated trends that you should immediately shelve if you want your email marketing to shine.
- AOL Expands Rich Media Ads To MSN And Millennial Media
Feb 22, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Multiple premium ad formats are now available in-app for the first time through Millennial’s network and on MSN sites in multiple markets.
- UserCare Launches App Customer Service That Is Tailored For Each User
Feb 22, 2016 by Barry Levine
The Mountain View, California-based startup provides event tracking, user profiles, incentives and messaging for segmenting and nurturing customers.
- Fluent Teams With LiveRamp To Extend Custom Audience Targeting Beyond The CRM
Feb 22, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
AudienceNow for LiveRamp will allow marketers to use Fluent’s first-party custom audience sets for targeting across channels, including display, mobile, social, video and addressable television.
- Marketers: Here’s A Free, No-Programming Toolkit For Virtual Reality & Augmented Reality
Feb 22, 2016 by Barry Levine
Startup WakingApp is officially launching its platform today in an open beta, following six months of testing and hundreds of demo projects by agencies and others.
- Mobile Carrier 3 Plans To Block Ads In UK And Italy, More Countries Could Follow
Feb 19, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Ad blocking is an issue that’s not going away. Further evidence of this is that today the carrier Three, in the UK and Italy, announced that it was going to roll out ad blocking “at the network level.”
- Google Removing Ads From Right Side Of Desktop Search Results
Feb 19, 2016 by Matt McGee
Instead of showing ads on the right side of desktop search results, Google says it will show a fourth ad above search results, but only for “highly commercial queries.”
- With The Physical Web, You Become The Search Engine
Feb 19, 2016 by Barry Levine
If Google’s initiative catches on, digital marketing will need to expand beyond targeting users, to targeting the physical world.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- FAQ: All About The Changes To Google’s Ad Layout On Desktop Search Results
- The State Of Cross-Channel Paid Search, Part 2: SEM & TV
- Show Me The Money: Following The PPC Keywords That Make Dollars & Sense
- Get Your Local On At SMX West & Local Search Workshop In San Jose
- Study: How Much Of Your Content Marketing Is Effective?
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Understanding The Great Analytics Gap (and What to Do About It), blog.kissmetrics.com
- Ways to Gather Start-Up Analytics (And Use Them), www.searchenginepeople.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 19 Tools We’ll Use In Our Blogging in 2016, www.problogger.net
- How to Promote Your Blog Posts on Twitter, www.adweek.com
- Yelp Employee Talia Jane Protests Low Pay, High Housing Costs, recode.net
- Google Fiber Is Coming To Huntsville, Alabama, techcrunch.com
- Twitter Hires Natalie Kerris as VP of Communications, recode.net
- 10 excellent examples of user-generated content in marketing campaigns, econsultancy.com
- 8 Actionable And Smart Ways To Improve Content Marketing, www.searchenginepeople.com
- Content Marketing Trends in 2016, www.marketingprofs.com
- Not Only Do People Trust Content From Influencers More, They Spend More Time With It, www.adweek.com
- What Is a Content Marketing Strategy?, www.copyblogger.com
- Why Your Business Stories Are a Joke (or Should Be), www.convinceandconvert.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Creating a Seamless Customer Experience, www.cmswire.com
- Efficient Responsive Design Process, www.smashingmagazine.com
- Five Best Practices for Becoming a Data-Driven Design Organization, Part 1, www.uxmatters.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- BuzzFeed Tries Out an External Banner Ad, adage.com
- How to Choose the Best Website Domain Name, www.searchenginejournal.com
- 3 New Rules for Winning at Ecommerce in 2016, multichannelmerchant.com
- 6 Tips to Improve Product Descriptions, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Amazon raises free shipping minimum for most orders to $49, www.reuters.com
- Mobile-First eCommerce: What Customers Expect and Value in Mobile Shopping Experiences, www.uxmatters.com
- New PayPal Commerce Lets You Stick Buy Buttons Almost Anywhere, smallbiztrends.com
- 5 Smart Ways to Use Email Signature Marketing, www.convinceandconvert.com
- 5 Tips for Re-Engaging Inactive Customers, www.silverpop.com
- For Lead Generation, Cleaning Firm Prefers Emails to Website Clicks, streetfightmag.com
- How To Write Absolutely Irresistible Drip Campaign Emails, blog.crazyegg.com
- How to Write Your Email in 15 Minutes or Less, blogs.constantcontact.com
- The State of Email Marketing by Industry, www.marketingprofs.com
- Using Technology to Improve Your Email Sales, smallbiztrends.com
- Why This Shop Expects a Sell Out with Every Email Sent, blogs.constantcontact.com
General Internet Marketing
- 5 emerging trends in digital publishing and content, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- How Data Is Used to Refine Marketing Messages, www.convinceandconvert.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- BlueHornet Launches NexGen Commerce Segments, www.bluehornet.com
- Inneractive Closes 2015 with $100M Run Rate, inner-active.com
- Intent Data Infused SmartPersonas Set to Supercharge B2B Content Marketing Strategy, www.marketwired.com
- Programmatic Marketing Budgets on the Rise, According to New Survey Data from Rocket Fuel, rocketfuel.com
- Searchmetrics appoints Patric Liebold as new VP EMEA, www.realwire.com
- Ad Tech + Mar Tech = Better Mobile Marketing, blog.marketo.com
- Half of Marketing Jobs Will Be Replaced by Machine Intelligence, www.martechadvisor.com
- 5 Reasons Brands Should Not Abandon the Mobile Web, www.tune.com
- 5 Trends That Will Shape TV Mobile App Advertising in 2016, www.adweek.com
- Adobe Has a New Way to Make Mobile Apps, www.adweek.com
- Is a Mobile-First Approach Really Best?, adage.com
- Marketers are Failing to Create Trust, Value on Mobile, adage.com
- Marketers use of mobile phone data erodes consumers’ trust, www.reuters.com
- Mobile App Ecosystem: Tap Into Audience Attention, heidicohen.com
- Mobile Buyers Prefer Traditional Phones When Communicating with Companies, www.emarketer.com
- The new generation of work-ready Android devices is here, googleforwork.blogspot.com
- 4 Tips For Protecting Your Online Reputation, smallbiztrends.com
- Twitter is struggling – probably because normal people don’t know how to use it, www.theguardian.com
- 17 Tips for Successful Facebook Contests, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- 4 Plays To Kick Off Your Social Selling Game Plan, marketingthink.com
- 6 Ways Your Agency Should Rethink Social Media Marketing, simplymeasured.com
- 8 Instagram Marketing Mistakes You Should Avoid, www.jeffbullas.com
- Facebook Advertising Platform Basics for SEMs, 3qdigital.com
- How to Prospect Using Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Instagram Continues Double-Digit Growth, www.emarketer.com
- Internet Users in Emerging Markets Flock to Social Networks, www.adweek.com
- Is Snapchat’s fleeting nature undermining its monetization efforts?, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Only 17% of the Fortune 500 Are Active on Pinterest, www.adweek.com
- Private messaging is social’s next big ad frontier, econsultancy.com
- Ridiculously Useful Social Media Stats You Have To Read and Share RIGHT NOW!, www.internetmarketingninjas.com
- State of Connectivity 2015: A Report on Global Internet Access, newsroom.fb.com
- The Illusion of Social Media Content Consumption, www.adweek.com
- What will Facebook Messenger ads mean for marketers?, econsultancy.com
- Why Google Plus Might Be Worth Another Look, www.stonetemple.com
- You Can Now Create Your Very Own Geofilter on Snapchat, www.adweek.com
- 3 Genius Ways to Get More People to Watch Your Video Ads, www.inc.com
- 5 Ways to Increase Engagement for Your YouTube Videos, blog.kissmetrics.com
- And next up is you! Enter for a chance to be a part of the YouTube NextUp class of 2016!, youtubecreator.blogspot.com
- BuzzFeed’s Video Strategy Demands New Industry Metrics, www.reelseo.com
- Facebook “Birthday Cam” Encourages Videos, Not Robotic Wall Posts, techcrunch.com
- Facebook Announces Next Steps for Improving Virtual Reality Experiences, www.adweek.com
- Facebook loosens its video ad ban for publishers, digiday.com
- Inside Mark Zuckerberg’s Big Bet That Facebook Can Make VR Social, www.wired.com
- Mobile Spearheads Digital Video Advertising’s Growth, www.emarketer.com
- Taking you behind the scenes with trending creators on Twitter, www.Twitter.com
- Vimeo partners with Wipster to offer a video collaboration tool for creators, venturebeat.com
- What is Facebook Livestreaming?, smallbiztrends.com