Top 10 YouTube Ads in January: Clash Royale spot ranks No. 1 with 11.1M views
The combined video views for January's top 10 ads totaled 37.8 million, a significant drop from the 100 million views generated in December.
Another Supercell video game made its way to the top of YouTube’s ad leaderboard last month with Clash Royale’s “The Last Second” spot earning 11.1 million views.
While Supercell’s Clash Royale ad ranked No. 1, Apple was the winning brand overall — earning a combined 14.1 million views for two different iPhone 7 ads at No. 2 and No. 3.
The 11.1 million views earned by the Clash Royale spot was significantly lower than the results Supercell saw in December of last year. The ad garnered just over a third of views generated by Supercell’s “Clash of Clans 360-Degree Experience — Virtual Reality Raid” spot that ranked No. 1 in December with 30.2 million views.
In fact, the mobile video gaming company owned half of the December 2016 ad leaderboard with four of its ads for Clash of Clans ranking in the No. 1, No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6 spots, and an ad for its Boom Beach game taking the No. 9 spot. Of the more than 100 million combined views by the top 10 ads in December, Supercell accounted for 63 million of them.
Video views for the top 10 ads in January took a steep dive compared to December. Last month, the combined views by the top 10 most watch ads totaled 37.8 million. Propelled by the holiday ad push, December’s top 10 YouTube ads generated more than 100 million views.
Released in advance of game day, two official Super Bowl spots made the January ad leaderboard — Mr. Clean’s “Cleaner of Your Dreams” earned 2.6 million views at No. 4, and Budweiser’s “Born the Hard Way” got 2.4 million views to rank No. 6. (Budweiser’s ad ended up rising to the top of YouTube’s top 10 list of most watched Super Bowl ads on Super Bowl Sunday.)
Top 10 Ads On YouTube in January
1. Clash Royale: The Last Second (11.1M Views)
2. Apple: iPhone 7 + Airpods | Stroll (8.7M Views)
3. Apple: iPhone 7 Plus | Take Mine (5.4M Views)
4. Mr. Clean: Cleaner of Your Dreams | Super Bowl ad (2.6M Views)
5. Lyft: Undercover Lyft with Odell Beckham Jr. (2.6M Views)
6. Budweiser: Born the Hard Way | Super Bowl ad (2.4M Views)
7. Covergirl: Zendaya and James Charles – 10-minute Eye Makeup Challenge (1.95M Views)
8. IBM: IBM Watson on Sesame Street (1.4M Views)
9. Dodge: Reduction | Challenger SRT® Demon (851K Views)
10. United Healthcare: Lunch vs. Chuck Norris (711K Views)
YouTube says the top ten ads in January accounted for 32.3 million minutes of watch time.
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.