Marketing Day: WordPress 4.4, YouTube’s Most Iconic Ads & An Email Marketing Workout
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Purify Ad Blocker Believes Paying A Few Cents For News Stories Is Too Much
Dec 14, 2015 by Danny Sullivan
Data savings from ad blockers might not translate into actual savings
- WordPress 4.4 Out Now, Makes All Images Responsive & Adds Embeddable Posts
Dec 14, 2015 by Matt McGee
Latest release also includes the platform’s new default theme for 2016.
- The ABCs Of Programmatic
Dec 14, 2015 by Digital Marketing Depot
The ABCs of Programmatic white paper from Marin Software is a detailed 18-page primer that will help you understand the huge programmatic opportunity and the lexicon and conventions you need to know to ride this latest wave of ad technology innovation to success.
- Follower-Tracker SocialRank Launches Teams Version On Road To Becoming Audience Management Platform
Dec 14, 2015 by Barry Levine
The updated tool from the New York City-based company is part of its planned evolution into a kind of CRM for a brand’s social media followers.
- SMX West Rates Increase Sunday — Register & Save!
Dec 14, 2015 by Marketing Land
Search Marketing Expo – SMX West rates increase Sunday. Register this week and save $300. Attend SMX West for: Quality content: 60+ tactic-packed sessions, keynotes and clinics. Choose sessions that best suit your focus, experience and personal needs.
- YouTube’s Most Iconic Ads Of The Year Awarded To Calvin Klein, Mattel & Always
Dec 14, 2015 by Amy Gesenhues
YouTube asked voters to choose their favorite ads of 2015 for five different categories. Here are the winners.
- Is Google’s Search Market Share Actually Dropping?
Dec 14, 2015 by Eli Schwartz
In a followup to his 2014 survey, contributor Eli Schwartz shares his data on search engine market share and looks at how it’s changing over time.
- PlaceIQ & IRI Team Up To Bring Offline CPG Sales Data To Ad Targeting, Attribution
Dec 14, 2015 by Greg Sterling
Location intelligence and audience buying platform PlaceIQ last week announced a partnership with CPG purchase data and tracking company IRI. The deal allows in-store sales data to be used for digital ad targeting on the front end and equally for attribution on the back end.
- A Beginner’s Guide To Social Media Marketing From The 10,000 Small Businesses Program
Dec 14, 2015 by Alison Zeringue
Columnist Alison Zeringue details the most common questions she heard as a social media panelist for Goldman Sachs’ 10,000 Small Businesses program and shares the key takeaways for marketers and growing companies.
- The 1-Hour Documented Content Marketing Strategy
Dec 14, 2015 by Quinn Whissen
Developing a content marketing strategy doesn’t have to be a nerve-wracking endeavor. Columnist Quinn Whissen believes you simply need one hour to align with your team and decide on an overall vision.
- The Email Marketing Workout
Dec 14, 2015 by Paul Ford
You have no more excuses: It’s time to get your email marketing in shape! Columnist Paul Ford offers five ways to pump up your email campaign.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Zig Zag: Understanding The Changes In Local Search Behavior
- The 7 Characteristics That Can Make A Link “Bad” For SEO
- The Globalization Of Local Holidays: China’s Singles’ Day Catches On In US
- Google Gets In The Holiday Spirit After All With Hanukkah, Christmas & Kwanzaa Decorations
- The Never-Before-Seen AdWords Data Points That Have Been Quietly Rolled Out To Your Account
- Google Search App For iOS Gets 3D Touch & Google Maps iOS App Gets Gas Prices
- B.K.S. Iyengar Google Doodle Celebrates The Famous Yogi’s 97th Birthday
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- How to Increase your Amazon Affiliate Earnings for the Holidays, www.problogger.net
- 5 data analytics trends to watch in 2016, venturebeat.com
- Analytics Platform Migration Checklist, www.cardinalpath.com
Blogs & Blogging
- The Psychology of Growing Blog Subscribers, www.ryanhanley.com
- SEMpdx Adopts a Members Code of Ethics, www.sempdx.org
- Apple Pays Taylor Swift For 1989 Tour Concert Video Exclusive, recode.net
- Apple’s not as secure as it used to be, but it’s still way better than Windows and Android, qz.com
- Europe Plans to Ease Copyright Rules on Using Digital Content, New York Times
- Musk, other tech chiefs back artificial intelligence startup with $1 billion, www.reuters.com
- 10 Ideas for Taking Your Content Marketing to the Next Level, smallbiztrends.com
- 3 Tips to Maximise Engagement on Christmas Content, blog.newswhip.com
- Create Memorable Brand Experiences Through Storytelling, blog.marketo.com
- Here’s Why Your Content Isn’t Getting Links, www.stonetemple.com
- How to Decide If You Should Go Wide or Deep with Your Content, www.copyblogger.com
- How to Strategize Your Annual Content Calendar Without Going Crazy, www.convinceandconvert.com
- The 5 Keys to Better Interactive Content, contently.com
- What Content Marketing Will Look Like in 2016: 40+ Predictions, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- What Kind of Content Actually Gets Links?, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Why You Shouldn’t Care That One-Third of Readers Despise Your Content, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Our Latest A/B Test: Content vs. Form as Ali vs. Frazier, blog.kissmetrics.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 6 Neurolinguistics and NLP Principles To Power Up Your Copy, conversionxl.com
- Design-thinking for CMOs: How to focus amid a flood of data, venturebeat.com
- What will be the biggest UX trends in 2016?, econsultancy.com
- New gTLD Sites in Alexa Top 1M Up 25% In a Month, www.thedomains.com
- Running for Office? Reserve These Domain Names, www.portent.com
- Amazon has more than doubled the size of its warehouse staff for the holidays, qz.com
- Not offering same-day delivery? You could be losing customers, econsultancy.com
- Strategies for Website Accessibility, for Ecommerce, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Turning holiday deal-seekers into loyal brand consumers, www.internetretailer.com
- 12 Months of Inspiration for Email Campaigns, www.verticalresponse.com
- 9 re-engagement emails that won us over for good, myemma.com
- Amazon leads North America’s top e-retailers in sending email to new customers, www.internetretailer.com
- Email marketer’s top New Year’s resolutions for 2016, venturebeat.com
- Extend the Reach of Your Next Email with Social Share, blogs.constantcontact.com
- The future of email marketing 2016 edition, www.emailmonday.com
- The Right Time To Send Emails At Every Step Of The Funnel: Timing Is Everything, www.searchenginepeople.com
General Internet Marketing
- Study finds marketers are prioritizing personalization, venturebeat.com
- The Disconnect Between Marketing and Creative Teams, www.marketingprofs.com
- What Were The Most Effective B2B Marketing Tactics of 2015?, www.komarketingassociates.com
- Marketers: 5 technologies you should watch for, venturebeat.com
- Reflecting on the Year in Marketing Technology, www.cmswire.com
- 4 Ideas To Use Visuals For Local Online Marketing, localu.org
- 5 Things Brands Need to Know About WeChat, China’s Mobile Giant, www.adweek.com
- 9 Mobile Marketing Ideas That Go Beyond Your Website, www.takeflyte.com
- Don’t build a mobile app (a message from the app graveyard), venturebeat.com
- Here Are 4 Mobile Messaging Apps Marketers Need to Know About in 2016, www.adweek.com
- Reddit’s Official Android App Is Coming Soon, techcrunch.com
- Striking the balance between content and ads in a mobile-first world, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Top 10 mobile messaging campaigns of 2015, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Why Do So Many People Uninstall Apps?, www.cmswire.com
- How to Use the Word Free in Your Marketing Without Losing Credibility, blog.crazyegg.com
- 2016 Social Media Image Sizes Cheat Sheet, www.searchenginejournal.com
- 2016 Social Media Marketing Plan For Success, heidicohen.com
- Facebook Is Killing Photo Syncing, Asks Users To Download Its “Moments” App Instead, techcrunch.com
- How BBC Sport Grew A Facebook Page’s Referrals By 6,000%, blog.newswhip.com
- How Buy Buttons Will Enable Social Commerce During the Holidays, multichannelmerchant.com
- How Not to Go Viral: 4 Viral Marketing Fails, www.searchengineguide.com
- How to Create Amazing Ads for Facebook and Twitter, www.wordstream.com
- How to Partner With Social Media Influencers for the Holidays, www.convinceandconvert.com
- How to Save Time This Holiday Season as a Social Marketer, simplymeasured.com
- How to Still See and Show Twitter Share Counts for Any URL, www.internetmarketingninjas.com
- How to Use Facebook Business Manager: A Complete Guide, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Obtaining Leads Using LinkedIn, www.compukol.com
- The Dan Bilzerian School Of Instagram – How to Build A Following, www.jeffbullas.com
- The story behind the funny, self-aware viral hit of the moment – Instagram Husband, qz.com
- The Top Ten Emoji Campaigns of 2015, adage.com
- Twitter warned some users that they were hacked by state-sponsored actors, qz.com
- 25 Suggestions for Creating High Ranking YouTube Videos, smallbiztrends.com
- Google will stop you recording straight to YouTube from your webcam next month, thenextweb.com
- How to Create a Thank You Video, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Improved Embedding Tools: Embedded Video Player API, developers.facebook.com
- What’s The Problem with YouTube Ad Keyword Targeting?, www.searchenginejournal.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.