Marketing Day: Super Bowl LI ad video views, social activity & more
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Amy Gesenhues on February 6, 2017 at 4:00 pm | Reading time: 7 minutes
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on MarTech and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- When should advertisers consider pausing Google Local Inventory Ads?
Feb 6, 2017 by Andy Taylor
Retailers that sell online and in-store need to balance where to send users in their paid search efforts. Columnist Andy Taylor explores when advertisers might want to rely on local inventory versus regular product listing ads.
- Super Bowl-related social activity was up Sunday on both Facebook & Twitter
Feb 6, 2017 by Matt McGee
An exciting Patriots comeback? Topical Super Bowl ads? Whatever it was, social media users were more active this year during the game than a year ago.
- Top 10 Most Shared Super Bowl LI Ads: Budweiser’s immigration story shared more than any other ad
Feb 6, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
Budweiser’s “Born the Hard Way” earned more than 435K shares on game day, nearly double won by the No. 2 most shared Super Bowl ad.
- The future of paid voice search and monetizing the map
Feb 6, 2017 by Brian Smith
Ads are coming to voice search sooner than you think. Columnist Brian Smith discusses what this might mean for local businesses, as well as SEO and SEM professionals.
- SMX West low rates expire Saturday. Register now to master SEO and SEM!
Feb 6, 2017 by Marketing Land
You won’t find these low rates again Register now for SMX West, March 21–23 in San Jose, and take advantage of Early Bird pricing! All Access Passes are just $1,795, a $200 savings compared to on-site rates.
- TV maker VIZIO fined $2M for no-consent tracking of consumer viewing habits
Feb 6, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Viewing habits were meticulously logged, tied to demographics and sold to third parties for ad targeting and tracking.
- Top 10 Super Bowl LI Ads on YouTube: Anheuser-Busch brands Budweiser & Bud Light win big
Feb 6, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
Budweiser’s “Born the Hard Way” – an immigration story about founder Adolphus Busch coming to America – was the most watched ad on game day.
- How mobile marketers can prepare for when tragedy strikes
Feb 6, 2017 by Polly Alluf
When news happens, there are times when brands must respond, and respond quickly. Contributor Polly Alluf says mobile marketers need to ensure their apps can be modified as quickly as other channels.
- IBM’s Watson joins H&R Block to explain taxes to humans
Feb 6, 2017 by Barry Levine
The cognitive supercomputer is adding tax preparation to his seemingly endless resume of occupations.
- Super Bowl’s politically charged ads, like 84 Lumber’s, spark social buzz
Feb 6, 2017 by Tim Peterson
84 Lumber’s immigration-themed ad attracted more visitors than its site could handle and elicited more social mentions than any other Super Bowl advertiser.
- Hashtags in Super Bowl ads slip to 30% in 2017, overtaken by URL use in 41%
Feb 5, 2017 by Danny Sullivan
From a high of 57% three years ago, hashtags were only in about one-third of ads.
- #HashtagBowl Live Blog: All the Super Bowl 51 advertising action In real time
Feb 5, 2017 by Pamela Parker
Join Marketing Land Editors and our special expert guests for the big game, where we’ll talk everything interactive marketing and share real-time search and social stats.
- Super Bowl LI advertisers: Here are the brands gearing up for game day
Feb 5, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
Super Bowl Sunday is finally here and we’ve got the full list of this year’s Super Bowl LI commercials and teaser ads.
- Today’s the day: The 2017 Marketing Land #HashtagBowl is here!
Feb 5, 2017 by Matt McGee
Join us for live coverage beginning at 6:00 PM ET, and a full postgame recap of how Super Bowl advertisers integrate digital marketing into their TV ad buys.
- Google Home to star in new Super Bowl LI commercial
Feb 3, 2017 by Matt McGee
After Amazon promoted Echo with an ad during last year’s Super Bowl, Google Home gets its turn in the spotlight this year.
- Avoid the 7 deadly sins of mobile performance marketing
Feb 3, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
Are you struggling with advanced targeting, conversion discrepancies or post-install events? Download this white paper from TUNE to learn how to avoid the seven most frequent pitfalls that keep mobile ad networks from being successful.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- SEO for Bloggers: A Basic Explanation, Problogger
- Facebook shareholders urge company to replace Mark Zuckerberg with ‘independent’ board chair, VentureBeat
- 1 Simple Content Fix: Talk to Your Audience, More News, CMS Wire
- Ask a Content Guy: How Do I Analyze My Content Competitors?, Contently
- Content Creation Is About More Than an Editor, WordPress Tavern
- Content Marketing History: Much Older Than You Think, MarketingProfs
- Jaw-Dropping 2017 B2B Content Marketing Controversies (and What Can You Do About Them), Search Engine People
- The Best Branded Content of January: 5 Brands Embracing Real Facts, Contently
- Working on Your Content Marketing Plan? 9 Components to Consider, Content Marketing Institute
- Are You Forgetting To Optimize For Awareness & Intent When Designing Landing Pages?, Crazy Egg
- Covert Conversion Hacking: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at How to Spy on Your Website Visitors, Kiss Metrics
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 5 steps to improve PageSpeed and boost page performance, Inside AdSense
- Getting Started With VR Interface Design, Smashing Magazine
- How IBM Is Embracing the Future Through Design, UXmatters
- Information Architecture: The Structure Behind Your User Interface, UXmatters
- The Moment of Truth: Optimizing The High Consideration Zones of Your Website, Shopify Plus
- ICANN’s divorce from the US cost $32 million, Domain Incite
- Logan.Movie in a Super Bowl Commercial, Domain Investing
- Amazon Echo spot “primes” Super Bowl audience for drone delivery in the US, TechCrunch
- How to create a thrilling ecommerce site that keeps customers coming back, Internet Retailer
- Mobile is the No. 1 priority for e-retailers in 2017, Internet Retailer
- Online shopping in China grows 26.2% in 2016, Internet Retailer
- 7 Essential Elements of Email Design, Constant Contact
- Do More With Less: 8 Keys to Efficiency in Email Marketing, Movable Ink Blog
- Sales Email Open Rate Benchmarks by Industry, MarketingProfs
General Internet Marketing
- More Than 800 Advertisers Say They Won’t Support Breitbart, AdAge
- What’s Next for Influencer Marketing in 2017, MarTech Advisor
Internet Marketing Industry
- 2017 Predictions: Thanks to Tech, Earned Media Means Business, MarTech Advisor
- Ad Tech Firms Rocket Fuel, MediaMath Oppose Immigration Ban, AdAge
- How to transition from being a martech consultant to a full-timer, Chief Marketing Technologist
- The AI Wars in Local Have Already Begun, Street Fight
- Ad blocking goes mobile: 5 charts on the global state of ad blocking, Digiday
- Building mobile audience segments via precise location data, Mobile Commerce Daily
- Microtargeting, Measurement Can Help Unlock In-App Brand Dollars, AdExchanger
- Tackling Online Activity During The Super Bowl: Mobile Is A Game Changer, MarTech Advisor
- Why Location is Everything for the Future of Retail Marketing, MarTech Advisor
- EU data protection authorities confirm compliance of Google Cloud commitments for international data flows, The Google Blog
- 13 Steps for Running a Successful Contest on Social Media, Social Media Explorer
- Facebook Says It Can’t Monitor All Posts for Racist Language, AdAge
- Five Ways for B2Bs to Tap into Social, eMarketer
- How Snapchat rode marketing to the biggest IPO valuation since Facebook, Mobile Commerce Daily
- How the @Patriots #SB51 victory conversation happened live on Twitter, Twitter Blog
- How to Use Facebook Page Engagement Custom Audiences, Social Media Examiner
- How to Win a Twitter War, AdAge
- Snapchat’s Global Opportunity, eMarketer
- The brands that won this year’s #SuperBowl, Twitter Blog
- The Grammys are using Snapchat to lure younger viewers, Digiday
- What we know about Snap’s secretive research arm, VentureBeat
- The Arrival of Virtual Reality, Multichannel Marketer
- The Live Bowl (and How It’s Changing the TV Landscape), AdAge
- Video Marketing: Why You Need it for Your Business, Search Rank
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.
New on MarTech