Marketing Day: Skittles & Kia Super Bowl Ads, Facebook Sports Stadium & Top Apps In 2015
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on MarTech and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Ad Platform Marin Software/SocialMoov Extends Weekend Downtime Into A Week
Jan 21, 2016 by Barry Levine
The San Francisco-based company notified customers last week of a weekend-long infrastructure upgrade, which has now been extended ’til Friday for “required maintenance.”
- Smart Social Report
Jan 21, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Where is social headed? How does my brand fit in? And, most importantly — how can social make me smarter? If any of these questions have come up in recent strategy sessions, The Smart Social Report can provide clarity.
- Skittles & Kia Tease Super Bowl 50 Ads: Skittles Gets Steven Tyler & Kia Nabs Christopher Walken
Jan 21, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
While neither brand released any video footage, Skittles shared a gif of Aerosmith’s lead singer, and Kia released photos of Walken filming its ad.
- Meet Marketing Technologist And MarTech Program Chair Scott Brinker
Jan 21, 2016 by Marketing Land
A conversation with MarTech’s conference chair and creator of chiefmartec.com blog
- The Blogger’s Guide To Nofollow Links
Jan 21, 2016 by Pratik Dholakiya
Do nofollow links make you cringe? You’re not alone. But columnist Pratik Dholakiya explains why they’re not so bad and how they can actually boost your site.
- Brave: New Ad Blocking Browser Promises More Privacy & Faster Page Loading
Jan 21, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Depending on whom you talk to, ad blocking is either overblown or an emerging crisis. There’s data to support both positions. One thing is clear, however: it’s an issue that’s not going away. That’s partly because entrepreneurs have now latched onto it as an opportunity.
- 11 Things To Do Now To Keep Your AdWords Healthy In 2016
Jan 21, 2016 by Frederick Vallaeys
Want to get your AdWords in shape in 2016? Columnist Frederick Vallaeys discusses some top trends and explains what you need to start doing to keep your ads relevant.
- Thanks To Social, Advertisers Plan To Spend More Programmatically In 2016 [Report]
Jan 21, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
New State of the Industry report from AdRoll also highlights trends in attribution and mobile retargeting.
- Social Media Scheduling: Why I Use Buffer And Hootsuite In Tandem
Jan 21, 2016 by Mark Traphagen
Hootsuite, Buffer or something else entirely? What tool works best for your social marketing needs? Columnist Mark Traphagen explains why you may want to use more than one to schedule posts.
- Are Your Customers Risk-Takers? When And How To Use Risk Tactics To Improve Conversions
Jan 21, 2016 by Jeremy Smith
Do you know how risk is affecting your customers? Columnist Jeremy Smith reveals some ways to determine your users’ risk appetite and techniques for dealing with it.
- Facebook Sports Stadium Launches As A Unified Place For Fans To Connect In Real Time
Jan 21, 2016 by Greg Finn
A new hub for sports fans within Facebook may be the company’s best effort to date at a real-time solution for users.
- Top 2015 App Downloads & Revenues Lists Have One App In Common: Skype
Jan 20, 2016 by Greg Sterling
App Annie has released a “2015 Retrospective,” which offers an array of data on app downloads, revenues and distribution. Drawn from its global analytics database, the report says that Google Play exceeded the the App Store in terms of downloads in 2015, though Apple still generates more revenue than Google Play.
- Retailers: Salesforce Will Now Send A Free Team of Experts To Match Its Marketing Cloud To Your Needs
Jan 20, 2016 by Barry Levine
The new Strategic Framework for Retail Customer Journeys includes a set of retailer-focused analysis and marketing tools.
- Kickstart Your Marketing Automation Success With This Five-Step Starter Kit
Jan 20, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Whether you’re just starting to research marketing automation or you’ve signed a contract and are wondering what to do next, this starter kit from Salesforce will walk you through a step-by-step process to ramping up an automation platform and setting yourself up for success.
- Q4 Search Spend Up 8 Percent, While Social Ad Spend Rose 50 Percent [Report]
Jan 20, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Mobile drove largest gains in overall growth in both search and social.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Google Improves Weather Search Results On Android In Time For Winter Storm Jonas
- Not Another Post About The Future Of SEO In 2016
- Breaking Up Is Hard to Do, But Sometimes It’s the Right Thing For Your Agency
- Google’s 2015 “Bad Ads” Report: 780 Million Ads, 25K App Accounts Shut Down
- Google Explains What It Means To Be Part Of The “Core” Algorithm
- Bing Boasts Continuous Updates To Their Search Engine Daily
- Smart Social Report: Network Trends, Building Brand Relevance, Content & Community
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 8 Steps to an Effective Digital Measurement Strategy, www.martechadvisor.com
Blogs & Blogging
- The Handy Character Count Guide for Blog Posts, Facebook Pages & More, blog.hubspot.com
- 8 Tips for Busy Bloggers – How to Make the Most of the Time You Have, www.problogger.net
- Blogging in 2016: 4 Ideas To Change Your Approach (And Win The Future), blog.thesocialms.com
- Building Your Brand and Credibility with Blogs, www.compukol.com
- Hook ‘Em: The 4-Point Approach to Writing an Effective Blog Post for Your Business, unbounce.com
- How to Write Blog Posts Faster – and Better, www.komarketingassociates.com
- Apple’s First iOS App Development Center In Europe Will Be Located In Italy, TechCrunch
- Google deepens partnership with Red Hat, VentureBeat
- 6 Tips for Producing Small Business Content Regularly, smallbiztrends.com
- Expert Tips for Creating & Promoting Stellar Content, seocopywriting.com
- Focus Your Marketing: Define Your 3(ish) Critical Words, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- How to Take the Guesswork Out of Content Marketing, www.copyblogger.com
- Making the Case for Long Form Content, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- State of Content Marketing: Europe, contently.com
- Why Content Experience Matters, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Why the Newsletter Is the Most Important Part of Content Marketing, contently.com
- Measuring Content Performance for Higher Conversions, blog.kissmetrics.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 16 Copywriting Mistakes You’re Probably Making (and How to Fix Them), conversionxl.com
- The Cosmo Kramer Guide To Writing Attention-Grabbing Copy, blog.crazyegg.com
- Dietmar Stefitz gives the lowdown on Domaining Europe, domainnamewire.com
- 7 Website Elements that Kill Ecommerce Conversions, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Amazon brings its Prime Now restaurant delivery service to Chicago, venturebeat.com
- Amazon says its delivery drones will act more like horses than cars, qz.com
- Choosing a B2B Ecommerce Platform: Weighing the Risks, www.practicalecommerce.com
- How the Ecommerce Boom Has Affected Global Retail Logistics, multichannelmerchant.com
- What is Project Management? A 101 Guide for Fast-Growing Ecommerce Business, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
- 7 Effective Strategies To Increase Your Email Open Rate, vwo.com
- 7 Email Capture Boxes That Will Make You Want a Fuller Inbox, contently.com
- Create the Perfect Email Signature With This Cheat Sheet, www.blogherald.com
- Email volume rose 25 percent year-over-year during the 2015 holiday season, www.martechadvisor.com
General Internet Marketing
- 5 Marketing Predictions & How To Prepare For Them, blog.marketo.com
- 5 Ways to Cultivate Your Niche Community, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Brands have created an emoji bubble, digiday.com
- Mobile and Social Are Overrated, Marketers Say, www.cmswire.com
- What are the key digital strategies for 2016?, econsultancy.com
- What Makes a Good Marketing Strategy?, www.ducttapemarketing.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- HubSpot to Open Office in Japan to Support Growth, www.martechadvisor.com
- IBM Acquires Ustream to Propel Cloud-Based Video Services, www-03.ibm.com
- Light Reaction Launches App Performance, Flexible, Pay-for-Performance App Install and Engagement Product, www.businesswire.com
- Litmus Partners with Sendwithus to Enhance Transactional Emails, www.martechadvisor.com
- Metamarkets Expands Its Leadership Team With Key Hires in Marketing and Product, www.marketwired.com
- New From Contently: Content Marketing Benchmarks, contently.com
- Third Annual Cojones Awards Adds More High Profile Judges, www.marketwired.com
- 4 Ways That Retailers Can Gain Traction on Mobile, streetfightmag.com
- 9 tips for designing smart watch apps, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- How to Seize the Untapped Mobile Opportunity in 2016, www.marketingprofs.com
- Most Mobile Users Will Delete an App If Concerned About Security, www.emarketer.com
- Move Over PC. Mobile Is The New Hub, Not Just Another Channel., adexchanger.com
- New App Peach: What is the Marketing Potential for Peach?, ignitevisibility.com
- What Marketers Need To Understand About Cross-Device Reach And Accuracy, adexchanger.com
- Hive Power Unleashed! Start Your Social Business Buzzing, www.aimclearblog.com
- How to Create Custom Instagram Feeds, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- How to Find Content for Your Social Media Calendar, blog.bufferapp.com
- Introducing Audience Optimization for Publishers, media.fb.com
- Snapchat: The King of Millennial Micro-Moments, www.adweek.com
- Social Media Image Sizes, Best Practices and Tools, www.toprankblog.com
- Social Media Marketing Copyright Rules for Businesses, smallbiztrends.com
- The Biggest German, French & Irish Sites On Facebook, blog.newswhip.com
- What I Learned About Successful Organizational Social Media Strategy, simplymeasured.com
- Why every SMB should install a Facebook Pixel on their website ASAP, 3qdigital.com
- 19 Tips for Creating an Explainer Video for Your Brand, smallbiztrends.com
- Facebook’s Engineering Wizardry Makes Even VR Videos Load Fast, techcrunch.com
- Using Periscope to Grow Your Business, www.amyporterfield.com
- Yahoo Debuts New Video Series Hosted by Katie Couric and Sponsored by H&R Block, yahoo.tumblr.com
- YouTube is retailers’ top video outlet, for now, www.retaildive.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.