Marketing Day: Marketing automation, Twitter NFL streams & that Mr. Clean Super Bowl ad
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Amy Gesenhues on January 27, 2017 at 4:05 pm | Reading time: 6 minutes
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on MarTech and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Using marketing automation to create successful email programs in 2017
Jan 27, 2017 by Scott Heimes
Is marketing automation part of your email strategy? Columnist Scott Heimes explains how to choose the marketing automation tool that’s right for your email program and how to maximize the data it produces.
- Do organic keyword rankings matter anymore?
Jan 27, 2017 by Julian Connors
With all the ways search engine results pages have evolved over the years, columnist Julian Connors explores the question of whether SEO is still a wise investment.
- What’s love got to do with Valentine’s Day?
Jan 27, 2017 by Mona Elesseily
Looking to woo consumers this Valentine’s Day? Columnist Mona Elesseily shares insights from Bing Ads (and her own experience) to help your holiday ads flourish.
- The essential guide to pharma SEM
Jan 27, 2017 by Justin Freid
Columnist Justin Freid explains the basics of getting your PPC campaigns up and running in the highly regulated industry of prescription drug advertising.
- [Reminder] Live webcast: How to create a single source of data truth for marketing
Jan 27, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
According to McKinsey and Forrester, an integrated marketing analytics approach can free up 15-20% of marketing spend while driving higher campaign conversions. But, with four out of five marketing organizations struggling to merge their data points, it’s clear that marketers still have many questions about how to get there.
- Inmoji launches first self-service platform for its interactive emoji-like icons and stickers
Jan 27, 2017 by Barry Levine
Company says the new portal will make it easier and quicker for brands to run campaigns with its unique, clickable icons and rich-media displays.
- MailChimp moves toward becoming a marketing platform with Facebook ads feature
Jan 27, 2017 by Barry Levine
Oriented toward small businesses, the company wants to offer new features that build on the customer and product data stored in its email platform.
- [Podcast] Marketing Land Live #42: How does marketing work in the age of Amazon Echo & Google Home?
Jan 27, 2017 by Matt McGee
In this week’s episode, we speak with IDC’s Gerry Murray about what it means to be a marketer — and how marketing is going to change — as consumers spend more time talking to their Echoes, Dots, Homes and other voice-powered devices.
- After a most lively year, where does live video go in 2017?
Jan 27, 2017 by Fritz Brumder
As live video continues to rise in popularity, how will it evolve this year? Columnist Fritz Brumder shares his predictions on the tools and innovations we should expect to see in 2017.
- Twitter’s NFL streams averaged 265,800 viewers per minute across 10 games
Jan 27, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Each week 2.7 million viewers, on average, watched at least three seconds of the game on Twitter.
- How much should B2B companies invest in digital marketing?
Jan 27, 2017 by Dale Hursh
What should your marketing budget look like if you’re a business-to-business company? Columnist Dale Hursh answers this age-old question based on recent trends and data.
- Opinion: Mr. Clean’s Super Bowl ad may get buzz, but does it cross the ‘creepy’ line?
Jan 27, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
The brand tries to pull off a seductive Mr. Clean, but some viewers may find the iconic character comes off more scary than dreamy.
- Microsoft Earnings Report for Q2 2017: Revenue reaches $26B fueled by cloud services
Jan 27, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
Microsoft CFO Amy Hood says the company sees strong demand around its cloud-based services, helping drive its long-term growth strategy.
- Google: $26 billion in Q4 revenue beats expectations but earnings down
Jan 26, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Total company revenues for 2016 were $90.3 billion vs. $75 billion in 2015.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Will 2017 Be the Year of the Predictive Engine?, MarTech Advisor
- Apple joins Amazon, Facebook, Google, IBM and Microsoft in AI initiative, TechCrunch
- Google’s Sundar Pichai says it’s “very early days” in the battle against Amazon Echo, TechCrunch
- Google, in Post-Obama Era, Aggressively Woos Republicans, New York Times
- 5 Tips to Engage Consumers with Sponsored Content in 2017 Amidst FTC Crack Down, MarTech Advisor
- Content Marketing Success: Why Answering Questions Sells, Social Media Examiner
- How to ACE Content Marketing in 2017, CMS Wire
- UK Internet Users Give Cold Shoulder to Sponsored Content, eMarketer
- What is Bounce Rate?, Crazy Egg
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 30 Free Sugar-Sweet Valentine’s Day Icons, Smashing Magazine
- 10 Things You Can Do Today to Increase Website Sales, Convince and Convert
- Alexa scores some Super Bowl skills for next week’s big game, TechCrunch
- Is Elon Musk changing ecommerce as we know it?, Internet Retailer
- Retailers bring the romance of in-store shopping to ecommerce, Mobile Commerce Daily
General Internet Marketing
- Brand Lessons From the Best (and Worst) of 2016, AdAge
- Marketing in 2017: Bigger, Better, Smarter, MarTech Advisor
- Move Your Digital Marketing Forward with These 3 Steps, CMS Wire
- The High Wire Act Of The Modern Marketer, Social Media Explorer
- Welcome to Marketing In The Engagement Economy, Marketo
Internet Marketing Industry
- Annie Cushing Joins Outspoken as Chief Data Officer, Outspoken Media
- Jeff Valente Joins Lotame as VP Sales for North and Latin America, Lotame
- Verto Analytics Launches Smart Poll to Combine Active Surveys with Passive Cross-Device Consumer Behavioral Measurement, Verto Analytics
- App Success Is Shifting From Downloads To Engagement, AdExchanger
- EBay sees mobile growth catching up to desktop, Mobile Commerce Daily
- Google Play Experiments Allow up to 75% Traffic Tests, Incipia
- How mobile users make app install decisions on Google Play and the App Store, TUNE
- Valentine’s Day is an increasingly mobile holiday, Internet Retailer
- Do Your Tweets Deliver Revenue?, Kiss Metrics
- Facebook Ad Targeting and Results, Jon Loomer Digital
- Facebook Lets You Lock Down Your Account With Physical Security Keys, Wall Street Journal
- Four Reasons Not to Write Off Twitter, AdAge
- Global Spotlight: Instagram in Mexico, Instagram for Business
- How LinkedIn Markets on LinkedIn, SocialTimes
- How Top Brands Are Authentic Through Social, Conversocial
- How-to: Understand and Report on Facebook Performance, 3Q Digital
- It’s Generation X, not millennials, who are obsessed with Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter, Quartz
- Most Snapchat Discover Ads Are Either Interactive or Direct Response, Adweek
- Our 2016 Transparency Report, Pinterest Blog
- There Is No Salvation for the Facebook Expert, SocialTimes
- Trying out Snapchat’s new universal search capabilities, TechCrunch
- Ways to Use Snapchat for Marketing and Advertising in 2017, MarketingProfs
- When to Ban Social Media Trolls and Prevent Harassment, SocialTimes
- 3 Brands Driving Change With Social Video, Content Marketing Institute
- 3 Ways Football Culture Plays Out on YouTube, Think with Google
- 5 Secrets to How Food Videos Go Viral on Social, NewsWhip
- How Demographics, Technology Impact Viewing Habits, AdAge
- YouTube Shows Little Sign of Old Age, eMarketer
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.