Marketing Day: Facebook talks VR, exploding watermelons & WordPress 4.5
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- 6 simple steps to connect with mobile customers
Apr 13, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
According to Google, four out of five consumers use search engines to find their way to local stores. A recent survey found 78 percent of on-the-go searches turn into offline purchases.
- Using conversion lift reporting: Best practices
Apr 13, 2016 by Jeffrey Graham
If you want to gain insight into the effectiveness of ad exposure across devices, conversion lift reporting is a no-brainer. Contributor and Twitter research head Jeffrey Graham shares some tips to help you get started.
- Google counters header bidding with exchange bidding for Dynamic Allocation
Apr 13, 2016 by Barry Levine
The tech giant is also opening up its First Look beta to all publishers.
- Google Analytics’ new User Explorer report shows individual, anonymized website interactions
Apr 13, 2016 by Matt McGee
New report rolling out to accounts now in beta, found under the Audience tab.
- Watch Facebook’s CTO take a selfie in virtual reality
Apr 13, 2016 by Tim Peterson
At Facebook’s developer conference, F8, CTO Mike Schroepfer showed what Facebook could look like in virtual reality, including how to share a VR selfie.
- Google Analytics adds more AdWords reporting capabilities
Apr 13, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Deep links to AdWords, Sitelinks reporting and more.
- Facebook talks VR at Facebook F8 keynote
Apr 13, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
Expect discussion about Oculus and virtual reality, as Facebook’s annual developers conference starts its second day.
- BuzzFeed’s exploding watermelon video proves Facebook Live is no joke
Apr 13, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
In the span of five days, BuzzFeed’s video has attracted more than 10 million views and over 320,000 comments.
- Google takes on clickjacking
Apr 13, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
The company says it discovered the use of clickjacking in its ad network earlier this year and is taking action.
- The future of digital advertising: Ads that look back
Apr 13, 2016 by Alan K’necht
Billboards that watch you back aren’t just the stuff of science fiction. Columnist Alan K’necht takes a look at the technologies that are transforming digital advertising.
- WordPress 4.5 now available, adds responsive design previews, faster image loading
Apr 13, 2016 by Matt McGee
Other new features include editing improvements like inline linking, new formatting shortcuts and more.
- How I sent Mark Zuckerberg flowers using a Facebook Messenger bot
Apr 12, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
Facebook has positioned Messenger as a universal app for getting things done. Can you really buy flowers through it? Yes, you can.
- Facebook exposes Page posts’ Reaction counts through new API
Apr 12, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Facebook has created a Reactions API so that pages can more easily measure how many of each Reaction a post receives and the names of people who reacted.
- Facebook Messenger positioned as replacement for mobile web, apps & SMS
Apr 12, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Messenger becomes a major new commerce and content platform for 50 million marketers and brands.
- Social management system Hootsuite adds new APIs to open up its platform
Apr 12, 2016 by Barry Levine
VP says this is a new phase for the Vancouver-based company, where users can perform Hootsuite functions inside external tools.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- How checking your link profile can save your site
- How to adjust SEO strategy to Google’s new SERP ad layout
- A script to set recurring monthly budgets in AdWords
- Google displaying gas prices in the local 3-pack
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 20% of marketers have created an actionable ‘single customer view’, econsultancy.com
- Everyone loves a metric – but what are the important ones?, www.branded3.com
- Storytelling and data: when beautiful metrics can’t beat words, chiefmartec.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 11 Steps to Growth Hack Your Way to Blogging Success, www.problogger.net
- 16 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started My First Blog, www.searchenginejournal.com
- How to Get More Likes on WordPress.com, ignitevisibility.com
- WordPress.com bloggers can now include share buttons for WhatsApp, Telegram, and Skype, venturebeat.com
- GoPro names Apple designer as VP of design, www.reuters.com
- Yahoo Ponders to Sell or Not to Sell, Bloomberg
- 3 Important Elements of a Customer Case Study, blog.marketo.com
- Altruistic Content Marketing: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, contently.com
- Content Measurement: Identify Your Best and Worst Content, www.verticalmeasures.com
- Create Engaging Content in a “Boring” Industry, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Create Winning Content: 5 Reasons You Need To Stalk Your Competitors, www.searchenginepeople.com
- How to Serve Compelling B-to-B Content in a Match.com World, adage.com
- Storytelling: Out of the Campfire and Into Your Marketing Campaign, www.marketingprofs.com
- The Wrong (and Right) Ways to Test Content Titles, conversionxl.com
- 14 Times In Business You Should A/B Test, unbounce.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- How Facebook’s Big Bet On Chatbots Might Remake The UX Of The Web, www.fastcodesign.com
- Why Marketers Should Embrace Emojis to Improve CX, www.cmswire.com
- Why the Customer Experience You Provide Is Your Product, www.marketingprofs.com
- It’s open season on ICANN as judge rules new gTLD applicants CAN sue, domainincite.com
- 6 Alternative Funding Resources for Ecommerce Businesses, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Amazon Put Alexa in Millions of Homes: Is Yours Next?, www.wsj.com
- What does a digitally transformed retailer look like?, econsultancy.com
- 5 quick tips for segmenting your email list, myemma.com
- Here’s How to Automatically Sync Gmail With Salesforce, www.cmswire.com
- Long-stalled email privacy bill advances in Congress, www.reuters.com
General Internet Marketing
- How to Keep Up With Changes and Growth in Influencer Marketing, www.convinceandconvert.com
- How to Lead Your Marketing Team Through an Acquisition, adage.com
- Mastering the Digital Transformation Cha-Cha-Cha, www.cmswire.com
- The dark side of Guardian comments, www.theguardian.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Nielsen Digital Content Ratings Now Available for Measurement of Instant Articles on Facebook, www.nielsen.com
- North American Advertisers Increase People-Based Media Buys to Improve Digital Advertising Results in a Cross-Device World, www.signal.co
- Render Media Expands Content Production Business: Hires Sabba Rahbar, Cory McConnell, Christina Lee-Starkey; Promotes Alex Groberman, us12.campaign-archive1.com
- Agencies Grow Intellectual Property Assets With Tech, adage.com
- Everything the tech world says about marketing is wrong, techcrunch.com
- Predictive Technology Is Mature, but B2B Marketer Adoption Still Fledgling, www.emarketer.com
- 8 Differences Between Mobile Apps and Mobile Websites, smallbiztrends.com
- Brands must automate mobile native advertising, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Can brands turn real-time Facebook Messenger chats into meaningful engagements?, www.mobilemarketer.com
- Google releases Android N update with new emoji and launcher shortcuts, www.theverge.com
- Lessons Learned From A First-Time Appreneur, www.smashingmagazine.com
- Publishers Finding Success With Tech Niches Within Their Local Markets, streetfightmag.com
- Shoppers Flock to Apps, Shaking Up Retail, www.wsj.com
- Some Small Business Websites Are Still Not Mobile, www.emarketer.com
- Survey: How National-to-Local Marketers Plan to Grow Their Digital Budgets, streetfightmag.com
- 2 reasons I’m optimistic about Instagram’s algorithm change, venturebeat.com
- Facebook Isn’t a Social Network Anymore, contently.com
- How Facebook Plans to Dominate Digital Communication Over the Next 10 Years, contently.com
- How to Get Started With Facebook Instant Articles, blog.bufferapp.com
- How to optimize your Facebook reach, yoast.com
- How to Use Twitter Analytics to Improve Your Engagement, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Should Media Companies Fear Facebook Live and Instant Articles or Embrace Them?, www.adweek.com
- Snapchat augments reality with 3D Stickers, techcrunch.com
- Speaking Social: Put Social Marketing in Context Your Boss Will Understand, simplymeasured.com
- Study says nudity and identity are top reasons for Facebook bans, reputationrefinery.com
- The Quick Guide to Social Media Attribution Models, simplymeasured.com
- AOL-owned live video app Kanvas looks for ad dollars with more event coverage, digiday.com
- Facebook vs Youtube: Which Side of the Video Battle Should You Join?, moz.com
- How Reddit Helped Grow This YouTube Channel by 6000%, www.reelseo.com
- Marketing Video: Make Sales and Marketing a Power Couple, www.marketingprofs.com
- Seven helpful tips for livestreaming success, econsultancy.com
- What Happens When You Engage Fans With Facebook Live, www.convinceandconvert.com