Marketing Day: Facebook Live news, global Pinterest ads & Medium updates
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on MarTech and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Feed your search marketing obsession at SMX Advanced
Apr 6, 2016 by Marketing Land
For 10 years, search marketers have purchased every ticket available for SMX Advanced. Don’t miss your only opportunity this year to attend! SMX Advanced is unique. Sessions are fast-paced, Q&A-packed and don’t slow down to cover the basics.
- Facebook expands Live video, will put it front and center in mobile app
Apr 6, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Live video tab will replace Messages in the Facebook app, as several new features give users and brands more to play with and measure.
- Mobile marketer Kahuna adds Locales tool for language and location targeting
Apr 6, 2016 by Barry Levine
Including its previously released Intelligent Events, this is the second segmentation tool the company has added this year.
- Dark search, dark social & everything in between
Apr 6, 2016 by Maggie Malek
Certain types of web traffic do not pass referral information on to our analytics programs, making it difficult to properly track these visits. Contributor Maggie Malek recaps a session from SMX West detailing how to handle this “dark” web traffic.
- Tag management systems and DMPs — a match made in heaven?
Apr 6, 2016 by L. Erik Bratt
Brand marketers these days demand tools that can build a holistic customer profile. Contributor Erik Bratt argues that combining data management platforms (DMPs) with tag management is the key to achieving that goal.
- Just when marketers thought things couldn’t change any more, this report shows they will
Apr 6, 2016 by Sanjay Dholakia
Do you possess a single view of your customer that includes their mobile interactions and behavior on the Internet of Things? Columnist Sanjay Dholakia describes new research that shows that the time to prepare is now.
- Why you need to embrace delegation
Apr 6, 2016 by Matt Umbro
Marketers who excel at their craft may find it difficult to hand off work to others, but columnist Matt Umbro argues that the long-term benefits are worth it.
- A CMO’s View: A “real talk” about Super Bowl ads with Squarespace’s Chief Creative Officer
Apr 6, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
David Lee shares his brand’s Super Bowl strategy, including highlights from this year’s campaign with Key & Peele.
- UK users can now buy Pinterest ads
Apr 6, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
Through its self-serve marketplace, marketers in the United Kingdom can now purchase ads on Pinterest.
- Medium wants to be publishers’ digital printing press, too
Apr 5, 2016 by Tim Peterson
On Tuesday, Medium introduced ways for publishers to host their content on the blogging platform and make money from native ads or paid subscriptions.
- Virtual vs. augmented reality and Apple Watch for your face
Apr 5, 2016 by Greg Sterling
AR may ultimately present a larger opportunity than VR, but the right hardware and user experience don’t yet exist.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Google makes AdWords Products tab more useful for Shopping campaigns
- Seeking investments from Microsoft & Amazon, HERE’s owners signal intent to compete aggressively with Google Maps
- How to map keyword strategy to B2B buyer intent
- Brand bidding & PPC optimization: enforcement options (Part 6 of 8)
- First modern Olympic games 120th anniversary marked with 4 Google doodles
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Which Critical Social Media Metrics Are You Ignoring?, simplymeasured.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Blogging on the Side While Having a Steady Job, www.blogherald.com
- Amazon chief Bezos defends corporate culture in letter to shareholders, venturebeat.com
- Millennials are being dot.conned by cult-like tech companies, nypost.com
- SurveyMonkey expands into app insights after quietly acquiring Renzu, TechCrunch
- The State of B2B Content Personalization, www.marketingprofs.com
- Why Interactive Content Is the Future of Content Marketing, www.jeffbullas.com
- Getting Started With Conversion Rate Optimization, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
- How to Unleash Psychological Power in Your Conversion Rate Optimization, blog.crazyegg.com
- Warning: Are You Making These 8 Traffic-Killing Mistakes?, www.problogger.net
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 10 common online copywriting mistakes, econsultancy.com
- 9 Design Resources to Improve Your Campaigns (And Your Relationship with Your Designer), unbounce.com
- Achieving goals vs. solving problems (and why UX teams need both), www.usertesting.com
- Improve User Experience With Real-Time Feature, www.smashingmagazine.com
- Quick Tips on Improving User Experience, www.lunametrics.com
- The Biggest Mistake Companies Make During a Website Redesign, blog.kissmetrics.com
- 4 Things Add-to-cart Rates Tell an Ecommerce Business, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Amazon brings same-day delivery to nearly a dozen more U.S. metros, techcrunch.com
- eBay follows Amazon with new branded packaging for sellers, venturebeat.com
- International Payment Methods Alone Do Not Make You a Cross-Border Merchant, multichannelmerchant.com
- The myth behind cloud autoscaling for ecommerce sites, econsultancy.com
- 5 Brands Leading the Pack on Contextual Email, blog.movableink.com
- Top email welcome campaigns convert 25% of the time, www.internetretailer.com
General Internet Marketing
- ‘It’s like saying everything living in the ocean is a fish’: Marketers obsessed with millennials are making a mistake, digiday.com
- 5 Smart Habits for Staying Up-to-Date on Influence Marketing, www.convinceandconvert.com
- 5 Ways to Optimize a Small Marketing Budget, www.wordstream.com
- Frank Cooper On What Marketers Should Be Focused On, adage.com
- How Word of Mouth Marketing Influences IoT Strategy, www.cmswire.com
- The Future of Marketing: Be Ready, blog.marketo.com
- The Long and Short of Digital Marketing, www.searchenginejournal.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- CrossInstall Launches “PrePlay” To Create And Deliver Playable Mobile Ads At Scale, www.prnewswire.com
- Jumpshot Expands Management Team and Board to Support Rapid Growth, PR Newswire
- 5 major themes from MarTech with big implications for marketing, chiefmartec.com
- AVP Digital Marketing at Unum Talks Marketing Tech, www.martechadvisor.com
- How Academia Is Shaping Ad Tech And Platform Business Models, adexchanger.com
- How to Convince Your CEO to Invest in Marketing Technology, www.cmswire.com
- 5 Platforms for Cross-Promotions Between Local Businesses, streetfightmag.com
- Code reaffirms Apple’s plan to allow users to hide default iOS apps, appleinsider.com
- Maybe you won’t hate in-app ads so much if you could play them, venturebeat.com
- Microsoft’s Surface phone is now reportedly coming in 2017, venturebeat.com
- Mobile coupon users more willing to switch brands, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- WhatsApp, the world’s most popular messaging service, just turned on encryption for all its data, qz.com
- Facebook is starting to suggest businesses you should chat with on Messenger, Business Insider
- Here’s Why You Should Be Publishing on LinkedIn, smallbiztrends.com
- How to Automate the Discovery of Twitter Leads, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- How to Use Social Media and User-Generated Content to Boost Traffic, www.blogherald.com
- Reddit Steps Up Anti-Harassment Measures With New Blocking Tool, New York Times
- Why Facebook failed with Free Basics, techcrunch.com
- Why Pinterest forces you off its mobile site and into its app, venturebeat.com
- Why Snapchat 2.0 is Necessary for Digital Marketers, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Google’s Tilt Brush Is The First Great VR App, www.fastcompany.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.