Two Game Developers Pull Titles From Google+
Google+ is losing a small group of games from two developers. As TechCrunch reported today, EA is pulling the popular Bejeweled Blitz game. An announcement on PopCap’s website says the game will go offline on Monday, June 18th. (EA bought PopCap last year.) Another developer, Wooga, has already pulled its Monster World game. The company […]
Google+ is losing a small group of games from two developers.
Another developer, Wooga, has already pulled its Monster World game. The company has also confirmed a report from the SocialGamesObserver website that two other games, Bubble Island and Diamond Dash, will be leaving Google+ on July 1st.
A Google spokesperson declined to comment for Marketing Land on the loss of these specific game titles, but did say the company is “committed to building great gaming experiences for our users” and that “games continue to be an important part of the Google+ platform.”
Google+ launched games last August with 16 titles. Google says there are now 44 games available for users to play.
But are there enough users playing?
In a statement to Inside Social Games yesterday, a PopCap spokesperson suggested that Google+ game usage wasn’t high enough to justify the continued investment of resources:
The Bejeweled team (not the greater PopCap, and certainly not EA) chose to scale back the Google+ offerings because, like most game teams, we want to spend our resources improving games to have the biggest impact on the most customers. Shifting some of our resources from Google+ onto higher-impact efforts was a pretty straightforward decision.
Google declined to share any information about game adoption.
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.