Ad blockers, fraud and developments in programmatic: Our top 10 display advertising columns for 2017
Between ad fraud, developments with ad blockers and concern about brand safety, display advertising has seen an eventful year. Check out the columns on the subject that grabbed our readers' attention.
One of the hottest topics of discussion in 2017’s display advertising arena is speculation about what will happen next year, specifically February 15 of next year, when Google plans to release a version of its Chrome browser with ad-blocking features baked in. The feature targets “annoying” and “intrusive” ads only, but exactly what that means remains to be seen. In the meantime, Marketing Land columnists like Blaise Lucey are getting our readership up to speed, with specific tips on how to assess your risk and adjust if necessary.
Programmatic ad fraud and big advertisers’ attempts to deal with it remain significant industry challenges in 2017, fueling interest in formats like native advertising and branded content. But programmatic is evolving as well, with the Google Display Network’s responsive ads, data-driven creative and the growth of header bidding. Despite its flaws, programmatic has become so inevitable that it’s taking over other media, which we’ve covered with an exploration of programmatic TV.
Below, you’ll see the 10 columns Marketing Land published in 2017 that were most successful in generating interest and engagement among our readers. Check them out to make sure you didn’t miss any actionable tips as we head into a new year.
- Google’s big gamble on ad blocking and why you should care by Blaise Lucey, published on 8/16/2017.
- Responsive ads for the Google Display Network: 6 months in by Anna Shirley, published on 1/11/2017.
- P&G fought online advertising, and online advertising won by David Rodnitzky, published on 8/22/2017.
- How programmatic and header bidding will disrupt all media in 2017 by Kevin Lee, published on 1/5/2017.
- It’s not just hype: Real changes to consumer behavior are driving adoption of data-driven creative by John Nardone, published on 8/14/2017.
- The best ads aren’t ads by David Rodnitzky, published on 11/14/2017.
- Does branded content drive brand lift? New research takes an in-depth look by Peter Minnium, published on 8/11/2017.
- The 4 truths of programmatic marketing by Malcolm Cox, published on 2/20/2017.
- Header bidding: What marketers need to know by Ratko Vidakovic, published on 3/28/2017.
- Programmatic TV is the future: Here’s how to capitalize on the opportunity by Grace Kaye, published on 9/22/2017.