Marketing Day: Google Touts AMP, More Facebook Instant Article Ads & YouTube’s 2015 Wrap-Up
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- CampaignChain Launches Its Open-Source “Cockpit For Digital Marketing”
Dec 9, 2015 by Barry Levine
Germany-based company offers beta of a central dashboard to handle email and social campaign management through several tools.
- Google Touts “AMP” Momentum: We See 16,000 New Pages Each Day
Dec 9, 2015 by Greg Sterling
This morning Google held a meeting to provide updates about its Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) publishing initiative. The project launched as an open source effort with a range of publishers on October 7 this year. Some see AMP as Google’s answer to Facebook Instant Articles and Apple News.
- Facebook Bows To Publishers, Will Serve More Ads In Instant Articles
Dec 9, 2015 by Martin Beck
The social network will now allow one ad for every 350 words in the new feature to make sure publishers aren’t “leaving money on the table,” the Wall Street Journal reports.
- 41 Loyalty Marketing Ideas
Dec 9, 2015 by Digital Marketing Depot
Three out of four consumers belong to up to 10 loyalty programs, so it’s more important than ever to stand out. To capture interest and drive repeat purchases, brands must interact with consumers beyond transactions and reward them for their behaviors across channels.
- How To Have A Great Relationship With Your Link Builder
Dec 9, 2015 by Julie Joyce
A poor relationship between client and link builder can make any campaign fall apart. Contributor Julie Joyce advises on initial questions to ask that will help you both get the most out of your partnership.
- Thanksgiving Weekend 2015: The Stats That Mattered
Dec 9, 2015 by Andrew Waber
Columnist Andrew Waber looks at data from Facebook e-commerce advertising activity during the Thanksgiving shopping period and discusses what it will mean for marketers moving forward.
- TrueView For Shopping: Making YouTube The Next Big Shopping Destination
Dec 9, 2015 by Laura Collins
Want to enhance your video ads? Columnist Laura Collins discusses the impact that TrueView for Shopping has had on client shopping campaigns.
- Site Redesign & Migration Tips To Avoid SEO & UX Disasters
Dec 9, 2015 by Modestos Siotos
Planning to overhaul your website? Check out contributor Modestos Siotos’ tips to help you minimize the potential negative impact of a site relaunch.
- Airbnb Voted No. 1 Best Place To Work On Glassdoor’s Annual List Of Top Employers
Dec 9, 2015 by Amy Gesenhues
More than half of the top 20 best places to work in the US are tech companies, with HubSpot, LinkedIn and Adobe making the list.
- AdSense Mobile Text Ads Get Another Facelift
Dec 9, 2015 by Ginny Marvin
Among several design updates, the newer version does away with the need to swipe in order to see the display URL.
- How To Get Google Review Links After The G+ Update
Dec 9, 2015 by Greg Gifford
The recent update separating Google Business pages from Google + has left old review links broken, but columnist Greg Gifford shares how you can generate new ones.
- Stop Using Desktop Conversions For Mobile Search: 6 Strategies To Help Drive Mobile Calls
Dec 9, 2015 by Wesley Young
Using strategies and metrics such as PPC and CTR that are meant to drive clicks instead of calls can hurt your ad performance. Columnist Wesley Young takes a look at targeted strategies that optimize ads to drive mobile phone calls.
- 4 Questions Marketers Must Answer To Extend Holiday Sales Success
Dec 9, 2015 by John Donnelly III
Columnist John Donnelly III discusses how brands can use social media insights from the busy holiday shopping season to help guide their marketing strategy for the upcoming year and beyond.
- Email Deliverability Requires New Solutions To Old Problems In 2016
Dec 9, 2015 by Tom Sather
Looking to increase your deliverability rate? Columnist Tom Sather has some advice for how to keep your emails out of the spam box and get more opens and clicks.
- Yahoo Announces It Will Spin Out Main Business Rather Than Alibaba Assets
Dec 9, 2015 by Greg Sterling
In a reversal, Yahoo announced this morning that it will abandon its planned spinoff of its remaining Alibaba shares and instead do a “reverse spinoff” of the rest of Yahoo. The reason the Alibaba spinoff was scrapped was uncertainty over tax liability.
- Top 10 YouTube Ads Of 2015: Clash Of Clans Ranks No. 1, But Mobile Is The Big Winner
Dec 9, 2015 by Amy Gesenhues
YouTube says for first time ever, the year’s most popular video ads were viewed more often on mobile devices than on desktop.
- TV’s Top Twitter Moments Of 2015: Kanye, Super Bowl & The Walking Dead
Dec 8, 2015 by Martin Beck
West’s 2020 presidential “announcement” at the MTV VMAs generated 248,000 tweets in a minute, upending the Super Bowl’s top tweeted moment.
- Oracle’s Responsys Adds Machine Learning-Driven Personalization Via Boomtrain Integration
Dec 8, 2015 by Barry Levine
Email marketers on the Oracle Marketing Cloud can now skip creating multiple email variations and segments when they want to target individuals.
- Forecast: Digital Spending To Surpass TV In US Next Year, Globally By 2017
Dec 8, 2015 by Greg Sterling
Earlier this year, ZenithOptimedia projected that digital advertising would surpass traditional TV advertising by 2020. IPG’s Magna Global is saying it’s going to happen sooner — in 2017.
- Pinterest Acquires The Hunt & Pext To Boost Ad Tech, Commerce
Dec 8, 2015 by Martin Beck
The moves will add experience to Pinterest’s engineering and product teams.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Google Now Taking Sign-Ups For AdWords iOS App Beta
- Google “Play Dreidel” Search Returns Digital Version Of Hanukkah Spinning Toy
- Setting Up Google Analytics Enhanced Ecommerce Using Google Tag Manager: A Step By Step Guide
- Google+ Follower Counts In Search Ads Sunset
- Google Search Will Integrate AMP Pages In Feb. 2016, May Get Ranking Boost
- Google Adds Reporting Features For AdWords Flexible Bid Strategies
- Microsoft’s Cortana Digital Assistant Comes To iOS & Android
- New Insights: The Consumer Journey For Electronics
- Six Steps To AdWords Conversion Tracking Bliss
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- Tumblr 2015 Year in Review, yearinreview.tumblr.com
- How to Do an End of 2015 Blog Audit, www.problogger.net
- Microsoft open sources Windows Live Writer blogging tool, venturebeat.com
- Amazon is now bigger than Exxon Mobil, qz.com
- Google Fiber Eyes Its Two Largest-Ever Targets: Los Angeles and Chicago, blogs.wsj.com
- Four Reasons Interactive Content Supercharges Your Lead Generation, www.marketingprofs.com
- How to Engage Listeners With Experiential Storytelling, www.convinceandconvert.com
- The biggest content marketing trends of 2015, econsultancy.com
- How to Eliminate Distractions and Increase Conversions, conversionxl.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Cognitive Psychology for UX: The Principle of Least Effort, www.usertesting.com
- The influence of Star Wars on Apple’s classic design, and vice versa, qz.com
- Why Great Mobile UX Can’t Be Ignored Anymore, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
- Foot-dragging Amazon has bumper crop of new gTLDs, domainincite.com
- GoDaddy Acquires 70,000 Domain Names; Some Aimed at Small Biz, smallbiztrends.com
- 3 Ways to Build B2B Relationships with Ecommerce, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Ask Yoast: 300 words for a product page?, yoast.com
- Consumers can access a universal shopping cart using Shoppable for Google Chrome, www.internetretailer.com
- EU Proposes Rules to Let Consumers Access Online Content When Abroad, www.wsj.com
- Top 3 Ecommerce Predictions for 2016, multichannelmerchant.com
- What does the 2015 holiday season mean for e-commerce?, www.retaildive.com
- 7 Email Marketing Strategies to Increase Open Rates, www.searchenginejournal.com
- A simple email strategy that drove phenomenal holiday sales, myemma.com
- Here’s How Customers Are Reading Your Emails (and Why It Matters), blog.movableink.com
General Internet Marketing
- CusSeven Building Blocks of a Customer-Centric Marketing Strategy, www.marketingprofs.com
- IAC Places Next Bet on Digital Media, www.wsj.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- ScribbleLive Announces Integration With Hootsuite’s App Directory, www.marketwired.com
- Improve Website User Experience And Online Visibility With Searchmetrics, www.realwire.com
- Smartphones Let Consumers’ Thumbs Do Their Holiday Shopping, www.nielsen.com
- WordPress 4.4 Release & What You Should Know About It, www.wpexplorer.com
- Meet the Pixel C, our take on the tablet, Official Google Blog
- 3 tips to develop a cross-device marketing and measurement strategy, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Everything You Need To Know About the New Apple TV App Store, blog.appfigures.com
- How to Amplify Your Mobile Marketing Message, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Instagram Now Lets You “3D Touch” Photos On Android, www.androidpolice.com
- Mobile App Install Fraud Is a Worldwide Concern, www.emarketer.com
- Mozilla Will Stop Developing And Selling Firefox OS Smartphones, TechCrunch
- New Flickr App Offers 360° Photo Experience Via Samsung Gear VR Powered By Oculus, yahoo.tumblr.com
- The seven deadly sins of mobile marketing automation, venturebeat.com
- What 700 million Black Friday & Cyber Monday mobile ads told us about holiday advertising, www.tune.com
- Why 2016 Will Be a Big Year for iOS 9, streetfightmag.com
- Why You Need Local Focused Landing Pages And How To Create Them, www.searchenginepeople.com
- 5 Benefits of Custom Facebook Placement Strategies, www.searchenginejournal.com
- 6 Effective Ways to Get More Instagram Followers, www.jeffbullas.com
- 7 Creative Ideas for Using Snapchat to Market Your Business, blogs.constantcontact.com
- An Experiment in Removing Share Buttons Altogether, dannybrown.me
- Answers to the Top Questions from the 2015 Boost Your Business Events, www.facebook.com
- Brand Activity, Engagement Growing on Instagram, www.adweek.com
- Do Social Network Users Want Buy Buttons?, www.emarketer.com
- Enterprise Social Evangelists: Be Very Afraid of Facebook at Work, www.cmswire.com
- Facebook tries to turn its platform into a customer service hub, www.internetretailer.com
- How Twitter users consume mobile dining apps, www.Twitter.com
- What in the world are people searching for on Pinterest?, blog.pinterest.com
- What the Rise of Sponsored Social Means for Your Business, www.convinceandconvert.com
- AOL’s Video Distribution Troubles Media Partners, www.wsj.com
- B2B video marketing: five tips for better results, econsultancy.com
- Cost-per-View Bidding Option Available for Facebook Video Ads, www.adweek.com
- How YouTube and Portal A Created This Year’s Rewind Video, adage.com
- YouTube’s new trending tab shows you viral videos ‘as they take off’, venturebeat.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.