Marketing Day: Twitter Earnings Report, Yahoo At NewFronts & Facebook’s Latest Video Ad Option
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Twitter Q1 Revs Miss At $436 Million, Leaked Early By Company That Did Same To Microsoft
Twitter was compelled to release its Q1 earnings early because financial data aggregator Selerity captured and released the company’s earnings numbers early.
- Shocking! Clickbait Headlines May Be Ruining Your Email Marketing
Study finds that consumers are less likely to open emails with words like “shocking” and “secret of” in the Subject line.
- Placed Brings Offline Attribution To More Programmatic Players
It’s well documented that more than 9 out of 10 retail conversions happen offline. That’s why measuring offline sales lift and store visits is becoming increasingly important, even critical, to brands and marketers.
- NewFronts 2015: Yahoo Brings The Stars With Everyone From Simon Cowell To Naomi Campbell Taking The Stage
The focus of this year’s Yahoo presentation was long-form digital video content, including the launch of 18 new video series.
- Minute Maid Celebrates Parents With #DoinGood Video, Blogger Partnership & Contest
Downtrodden self-doubting parents get understanding and encouragement from the Coca-Cola brand’s new effort.
- 67% Of Ad Buyers Say Original Digital Video Will Soon Rival Original TV Programming
Buyers say more ad dollars will flow to digital video according to a new study released by the IAB.
- Facebook Adding Video Option For Desktop App Install Ads
445 million people a month play mobile and desktop games on Facebook; now advertisers can entice the desktop users with video.
- Google Hopes To Buy EU Publisher Goodwill With $150M Digital News Initiative
In London today Google is announcing a new $150 million Digital News Initiative (DNI).
- Yandex Reports $211.1 Million In Revenue For Q1 2015 – Text-Based Ad Earnings Up 14% YoY
Yandex CEO says company delivered “top-line performance” despite a challenging macroeconomic environment.
- Shockingly Common Marketing Fails & How To Avoid Them
Often, we marketers are so focused on the big picture that we forget to look at the details. Columnist Julie Joyce shares some frequently-seen marketing mistakes with the hope you’ll bypass these pitfalls!
- Google Gets Personal: Will Potential New Ad Service Boost Personalized Results?
Who has more data about Internet users than Google? The stores these folks do business with, columnist Daniel Cristo notes. And those companies may be about to share it with the search giant.
- How To Convert Subscribers Into Salespeople
Customers aren’t just marketing targets. Columnist Jason Warnock explains how you can elevate them to become valued members of your social sales force.
- A Week After Mobilegeddon: What We Know About Google’s Mobile Friendly Update So Far
Google’s mobile friendly algorithm still seems to be rolling out because most webmasters are saying they don’t see much of an impact yet.
- NewFronts 2015: BuzzFeed Talks Video & “POUND” – New Technology For Measuring Shares
Publisher Dao Nguyen said BuzzFeed is recruiting advertisers to try out a beta program of POUND.
- Durex Teams Up With Popular Vlogger Hannah Witton To Give Sex Advice In #DurexHannah Campaign
The brand is the latest to tap well-known YouTubers whose message ties in with their own.
- Google’s Surojit Chatterjee: Here’s Why You Should Trust AdWords Estimated Store Visits
Head of mobile search advertising offers more details on what goes into measuring estimated store visits in AdWords.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Google Now Adds 70 New Apps, Including Zipcar & Restaurant Bill Pay Via OpenTable
- Key Traits Of An Amazing PPC Account Manager
- Google’s Mobile Friendly Algorithm A Week Later: Was It Really Mobilegeddon?
- SEO Reports Putting The C-Suite To Sleep? Bring Out The Graphs
- Bing Testing Recipe Data In Search Snippets
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- “Content Certified” Connects Affiliates and Retailers, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Are You the Peter Parker or Spider Man of Data Science?, www.cmswire.com
- Website Testing: Measuring Success, www.goinflow.com
- Why marketers are tracking the wrong metric, in one tasty infographic, digiday.com
Blogs & Blogging
- How to Stop Haters from Infiltrating Your Blog, www.blogherald.com
- German Courts Rule Adblock Plus is Legal to Use, www.thesempost.com
- 2 Secrets to Achieve Content Marketing Success, www.martechadvisor.com
- The 7 Story Types and What You Can Learn From Them, contently.com
- The Most Effective and Difficult Types Content Marketing, In One Chart, contently.com
- What’s the Difference Between a Writer and a Content Marketer?, www.copyblogger.com
- 7 Pro Tips to Make Your Landing Page Profitable, blog.crazyegg.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 5 Ways to Design an Addictive Mobile App, www.adweek.com
- 9 UX Myths That You Thought Were True But Are Not, usabilitygeek.com
- Is responsive Web design overhyped?, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Step-by-Step Directions for Writing Your Next Piece of Content, www.marketingprofs.com
- What Can Experience Designers Learn from Pixel Art?, uxmag.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- Digital Display Ad Fraud: Best Practices for Buyers, www.emarketer.com
- How does “carousel banner blindness” damage customer experience?, econsultancy.com
- Are Zombie TLDs coming this year?, domainnamewire.com
- Does URL Structure Even Matter? A Data Driven Answer, www.searchenginejournal.com
- How to Choose A Domain Name For Your Website in 6 Steps, blog.ahrefs.com
- In China, Mobile to Grab Majority of Retail and C2C Ecommerce Sales by 2016, www.emarketer.com
- In its breakup with eBay, PayPal is coming out on top, qz.com
- Introducing Amazon Business: Everything You Love About Amazon, For Your Business, phx.corporate-ir.net
- More mobile, fewer flash sales: The state of e-commerce, digiday.com
- Overstock revenue increases nearly 17% in Q1, Internet Retailer
- Shoppers have questions and retailers don’t have all the answers, www.internetretailer.com
- Six takeaways from recent global e-commerce events, www.internetretailer.com
- Don’t Just Hope Your Emails Get Opened: Four Tips for Click-Worthy Communications, www.marketingprofs.com
- Email Marketing Is Dead? Long Live Email Marketing?, www.cmswire.com
- How Laura Olin’s Emails Got Her Freelance Work and a Book Deal, blog.mailchimp.com
- How You Can Build an Email Marketing List as Quickly as Possible, blog.kissmetrics.com
General Internet Marketing
- 10 DIY Ways to Get More Visits to Your Website, www.verticalresponse.com
- 7 Digital Marketing Skills Every Professional Needs, www.problogger.net
- How brands can say sorry like they mean it, econsultancy.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Bigcommerce Acquires Zing.co to Accelerate Partnerships with Leading Mobile Point of Sale Providers, www.bigcommerce.com
- Continuum Selected as Sharp Strategic Alliance Member, media.continuum.net
- Kirshenbaum Bond Senecal Adds Global Chief Marketing Officer, www.adweek.com
- Mavrck Launches Free Tool to Measure Facebook Fan Engagement, Business Wire
- Mode Media Announces Mode Social Platform for Premium Content Curated by Professional Creators and Experts, www.modemediacorp.com
- New CMO at Vonage Will Make ‘Aggressive’ B-to-B Push, adage.com
- PK4 Media Partners With Are You A Human to Ensure Impressions Are Viewed By Real People, PR Web
- 4 Easy Steps to Building A Winning Sales Enablement Program With Marketing Automation, blog.marketo.com
- How Marketing Automation Software Helps Businesses, www.martechadvisor.com
- Technology Is for Storytelling, Not Just for Looking Trendy, www.marketingprofs.com
- How Vendors Can Persuade SMBs to Adopt Mobile Payments, streetfightmag.com
- I’m Pretty Sure Your Mobile Marketing Strategy Isn’t Good Enough, unbounce.com
- Marketers’ Perceptions of Mobile Advertising, www.marketingprofs.com
- Mobile Ads Now Recommend Videos Based on What News You’re Reading, www.adweek.com
- Wearables: How Advertisers Can Target the Smartwatch Market, www.adknowledge.com
- Yallo Launches Advanced Voice Calling App on Android, www.adweek.com
- 3 Terrific Tips to Increase Your Facebook Reach, www.jeffbullas.com
- 5 Easiest Online Image Editing Tools to Rock Your Social Media Stream, www.internetmarketingninjas.com
- 6 Social Media Lessons from the Best Brands in Content, blog.bufferapp.com
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Using Twitter Ads for Lead Gen, www.wordstream.com
- Coping When Social Networks Kill Features, blog.raventools.com
- Facebook Adds Donate Button Atop News Feeds to Aid Earthquake-Ravaged Nepal, www.adweek.com
- Facebook Has Another Problem in China, adage.com
- Facebook’s algorithm update: what it means for marketers, econsultancy.com
- H&M stays in style with curated lists on social media, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- How to Do Paid Promotion on Twitter the Right Way, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- How to Turn Employees Into Social Media Advocates: Case Examples, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- How to Use the LinkedIn Relationship Tab to Improve Your Networking, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Making Patients & Customers into Fans: Are Facebook Fan-Building Campaigns Effective?, www.searchinfluence.com
- Social Advertising: Are You Adding Value or Just Begging For Attention?, www.adweek.com
- Tesla’s Twitter Hack: How to Exercise Prevention, www.socialbakers.com
- The Gold Standard: Can You Sell Luxury Goods On Twitter?, www.socialbro.com
- With #SCOTUS Trending, LGBT Group Leverages Twitter in a New Way, www.adweek.com
- Meerkat vs Periscope: Which Live Streaming App Will Win?, www.toprankblog.com
- This Branding Agency Embraces Absurd Concepts to Get That Viral Video, www.adweek.com
- Why Are Advertising Executives Rooting for Facebook Video Ads?, www.reelseo.com
- WSJ now has a 40-person video team cranking out 40 videos a day, digiday.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.