Marketing Day: Snapchat hits 10B daily video views, Facebook earnings & more
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Snapchat confirms that 10 billion videos are being watched daily
Apr 28, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
Snapchat users are watching 10 billion videos a day, up from 8 billion two months ago.
- Trend observation: branded PPC ads getting more expensive
Apr 28, 2016 by Thomas Stern
Have you noticed your brand CPCs increasingly lately? It’s not just you. Columnist Thomas Stern shares data which suggest that branded terms have become more expensive since Google’s recent SERP changes.
- Searching for searchers: Audiences are the new keywords
Apr 28, 2016 by Christi Olson
As we continue to shift towards audience-centric marketing, columnist Christi Olson of Bing notes that we can create more effective remarketing campaigns by asking the right questions about our searchers.
- Dynamic remarketing: not just for retailers anymore
Apr 28, 2016 by Laura Collins
Think dynamic remarketing is only for retailers? Think again! Columnist Laura Collins explains how non-retailers can set up these campaigns and discusses the success her agency’s clients have seen by utilizing this tactic.
- Four steps to finding the right digital agency
Apr 28, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
The right digital partner can provide the perfect mix of creativity, technology and know-how to help your marketing adapt and thrive in a digital world. But how do you find the agency that fits?
- Twitter recategorized itself from “social networking” to “news” in Apple’s App Store
Apr 28, 2016 by Tim Peterson
As a social networking app, Twitter ranked fifth among free apps, but as a news app, it now ranks number one. Coincidence?
- A CMO’s View: Hyundai outlines the social strategy driving its latest new car launch
Apr 28, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
CMO Dean Evans shares how the carmaker builds out its social campaigns and offers insight on Hyundai’s new brand direction.
- 14 times Facebook has tried to be Snapchat
Apr 28, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Facebook may not have been able to buy Snapchat, but that hasn’t stopped the social network from co-opting many of the messaging app’s features.
- Experian launches PII-matching audience targeting platform to reach 85% of the US
Apr 28, 2016 by Barry Levine
In the new Audience Engine, brands and others can enrich customer profiles with various layers of PII-based data, and then anonymously target those same users online, in email or on addressable TV.
- AdSense mobile Page-level ads now available to all publishers
Apr 28, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Anchor and Vignette ads are designed for mobile websites and do not count toward page ad limits.
- How to protect yourself against ad fraud
Apr 28, 2016 by Ratko Vidakovic
Columnist Ratko Vidakovic walks through steps that marketers should take to protect themselves and their ad budgets against fraud.
- Google Analytics now secures all web traffic
Apr 28, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Whether sites are using HTTPS or not, all traffic communication with Google Analytics is being encrypted.
- Amid global smartphone slowdown, Apple seeks to capture more “Android switchers”
Apr 28, 2016 by Greg Sterling
It’s not just the iPhone — smartphone growth has slowed across the board.
- Mobile-friendly redesigns: Experiment on your current site
Apr 28, 2016 by Brian Massey
If you have your eye on being mobile-friendly, a full website redesign may be in order. Columnist Brian Massey has tips to ensure your site redesign is a success.
- Promoted Tweets with hashtags have higher CPAs, lower CTRs — & other surprises for DR advertisers
Apr 28, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
A Twitter study of 9,000 campaigns points to 9 characteristics that can make promoted tweets more successful for direct response advertisers.
- 7 reasons your Instagram Ads aren’t converting
Apr 28, 2016 by Blaise Lucey
Are your Instagram Ads a flop? Columnist and Bitly senior content strategist Blaise Lucey explains what you might be doing wrong.
- Facebook’s mobile ad revenue grew by 76% to $4.26 billion in Q1 2016
Apr 27, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Facebook grew its daily audience by 16% and the money it makes from each member of its audience by 33% in the first quarter of 2016.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- How to help your sales team close more paid search leads
- Get your mobile apps in shape with these 7 engagement practices
- Google Maps now with keyboard-based navigation controls
- Google Shopping ads so hot right now: the meteoric rise of PLAs
- Is your brand prepared for voice search? 3 steps to get the conversation started
- Hertha Marks Ayrton Google Doodle marks 162nd birthday of “The Electric Arc” author
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- In Three Years, Analytics and Big Data Skills Will Be Most in Demand, www.emarketer.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 6 Things You Need to Do Before You Start Blogging, www.blogherald.com
- Email privacy bill unanimously passes U.S. House, Reuters
- This year’s Founders’ Letter, googleblog.blogspot.com
- Yelp increases wages after firing Eat24 rep Talia Jane who wrote a scathing open letter to CEO Jeremy Stoppelman, qz.com
- 5 Content Marketing Trends to Put You Ahead of the Pack, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Customer Testimonials: 3 ways to leverage your customers to help tell your product’s story, sherpablog.marketingsherpa.com
- Favorite Content Curation Tips To Wow Your Readers, heidicohen.com
- Five Examples of How Publishers Have Used UGC to Grow, www.marketingprofs.com
- How to Repurpose Content From the Hottest Social Networks, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Sponsored content to amend future advertising challenges for buyers, sellers, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- What does “context marketing” really mean?, www.martechadvisor.com
- What Should We Do With All of That Content?, www.adweek.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- How to Measure Color Contrast, for Web Accessibility, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Running Before You Walk: What You Need to Know About Personalization, conversionxl.com
- The online copywriter’s paradox: How to write for your audience & yourself, econsultancy.com
- UI vs. UX: What’s the difference between user interface and user experience?, www.usertesting.com
- Five companies using branded top-level domains (TLDs) & why, econsultancy.com
- Find your shop’s niche, yoast.com
- Have You Optimized All 12 Zones of Your Amazon Product Pages?, www.marketingwords.com
- Shopify Launches Shopify Capital Merchant Cash Advances, recode.net
- The Case for Extreme Personalization, www.getelastic.com
- Which Omnichannel Retailing Services Need Improvement?, www.emarketer.com
- What’s my email reputation?, myemma.com
General Internet Marketing
- 11 Ways To Engage Influencers Before Asking For Something, www.jeffbullas.com
- 6 Reasons Influencer Marketing is Beneficial, www.copypress.com
- All You Need to Know About Digital Asset Management, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- How a GREAT Marketer Befriends an Influencer, www.toprankblog.com
- Publisher And Advertiser Needs: The Great Digital Balancing Act, adexchanger.com
- Target The Right Audience To Build Your Business, www.searchenginepeople.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Contently’s New Media Library for Enterprise-Wide Content, contently.com
- The New York Times Company – The New York Times Company Names David Rubin Senior Vice President and Head of Brand, investors.nytco.com
- Ve Interactive Launches VePanel to Revolutionize Onsite Engagement, www.prnewswire.com
- Widen Announces Integration With Sitecore, www.marketwired.com
- B2B Executives Focus on the Customer in Marketing Technology Spend, www.emarketer.com
- Why ad tech needs to wake up before Facebook and Snapchat own vertical video, digiday.com
- Why your Sales and Marketing Stack Needs a Solid Foundation, blog.kissmetrics.com
- 4 Ways to Make Your Mobile Marketing Stand Out, blog.marketo.com
- Can Facebook Messenger Become an Effective Local Marketing Platform?, streetfightmag.com
- Cat-and-mouse game of mobile ad fraud has only just begun, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Facebook’s Mobile Advertising Dominance, Is This the Year for Beacons in Retail?, streetfightmag.com
- Global smartphone market shrinks, year over year, techcrunch.com
- Messaging is the most important part of mobile strategy, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Brand trust comes from proving yourself to consumers, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- How To Use Social Signals to Build Trust In Your Brand, www.newswhip.com
- Reputation Monitoring & Protection: DATA EVERYWHERE, www.aimclearblog.com
- 5 Ways to Get Tons of Low-Cost Conversions on Facebook, www.wordstream.com
- Best Practices for Adopting Digital’s Hottest Platform: Instagram, 3qdigital.com
- CEOs and Social Media: What the Public Expects of Leaders, www.marketingprofs.com
- Does Snapchat Carry Hidden Pitfalls for Brands?, www.adweek.com
- Facebook is doing everything right, qz.com
- Facebook Messenger for Social Customer Service, www.searchenginejournal.com
- How Brands Can Hack Instagram Hashtags, www.newswhip.com
- How to make your DR Tweet copy more effective, www.Twitter.com
- Instagram’s App-Based Ad Revenue Is Being Fueled by Money From Startups, www.adweek.com
- Join Us for National Small Business Week, www.facebook.com
- Monitoring Social Media Traffic: Tricks, Tips & Tools, www.bruceclay.com
- Pinterest rolls out its version of trending topics, called Featured Collections, venturebeat.com
- Snapchat’s “Speed” filter cited in lawsuit following Atlanta highway crash, techcrunch.com
- The Great Debate: Does Social Media Engagement Matter?, simplymeasured.com
- Trend report: What’s popular on Pinterest this month, blog.pinterest.com
- Twitter and Facebook want publishers and brands to stop promoting their Snapchat accounts, digiday.com
- Cornerstone Content Defined in 60 Seconds, www.copyblogger.com
- Facebook looking at interactive formats beyond livestreaming and 360 videos, venturebeat.com
- Improving Content ID for creators, youtubecreator.blogspot.com
- OneNote now supports YouTube, Vimeo, and Vine videos on Windows 10, Mac, and iOS, venturebeat.com
- Setting the Record Straight, youtubecreator.blogspot.com
- Sports Media Tap Facebook Live for 2016 NFL Draft, media.fb.com
- Why Mobile-Responsive Video Design Matters, www.adweek.com
- Why the Smartest Video Strategy Focuses on Mobile, Millennials and New Formats, www.adweek.com
- With Facebook video, the aggregators are winning, digiday.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.