Marketing Day: Pokémon’s Super Bowl Ad, New Cortana Features & An Exodus At Twitter
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Pokémon Releases Official Super Bowl 50 Ad To Kick Off Its 20th Anniversary Celebration
Jan 25, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Pokémon is the first brand to post its official Super Bowl ad, sharing an extended version of the 30-second spot that will air on game day.
- Demystifying Brand Loyalty Among Millennials
Jan 25, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Loyalty programs are undergoing a generational shift. Thanks to the widespread adoption of social media and the rise of the always connected consumer, the traditional points for purchase model is no longer enough. Millennials expect that brands not only offer compelling incentives that reward them, but activities that engage them as well.
- Create A Killer PPC Strategy With This 3-Step Process
Jan 25, 2016 by Jeff Baum
Columnit Jeff Baum shares his approach to creating a search marketing strategy that will keep your tactics focused and tied to larger business goals.
- UnsubCentral Now Offers Choices Beyond Opt-Out For Email Recipients
Jan 25, 2016 by Barry Levine
In its new Preference Center for brands with multiple email service providers, recipients can choose other options besides unsubscribing.
- Cortana Providing Email-Based To-Do Reminders & Deeper Calendar Insights
Jan 25, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Microsoft’s personal assistant, Cortana, has introduced two very useful new features for Windows 10. Both are related to task completion and schedule management. The first feature is to-do remainders gleaned from email. This is similar to how Cortana (and Google Now) mine your email to provide travel reminders.
- Local SEO For WordPress Websites
Jan 25, 2016 by Marcus Miller
Thinking about using WordPress for your local business website? If so, check out columnist Marcus Miller’s handy guide on how to do local SEO with this popular CMS.
- 3 Methods For Defining Your Content Needs
Jan 25, 2016 by Casie Gillette
Don’t waste your time creating content for content’s sake! Columnist Casie Gillette explains how to focus your efforts by analyzing search results, evaluating existing content and talking to customers.
- Google Agrees To Pay $185 Million In Back Taxes In UK Settlement
Jan 25, 2016 by Greg Sterling
This morning, Bloomberg is reporting that Google has agreed to pay the equivalent of $185 million in UK taxes, covering a five-year period from 2006 to 2011.
- A Fresh Start: 2016’s Marketing Outlook
Jan 25, 2016 by James Green
What’s ahead for marketers in 2016? Columnist James Green takes a look at the technologies and trends that will help shape your marketing strategy this year.
- Inbound Marketing Fundamentals, Part 1: Getting Your Clients & Customers “Hunting” For You
Jan 25, 2016 by Daniel Faggella
Columnist Daniel Faggella explains the ins and outs of inbound marketing and reveals the ingredients you need to make it work effectively for your business.
- Google Glass Shutters Social Accounts
Jan 25, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
Google Glass has killed its Twitter and Instagram accounts, and the social team has said goodbye to its followers on Google+.
- Twitter Exodus Over The Weekend As Key Executives Leave
Jan 25, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
Several key executives announced their departure from Twitter on Sunday.
- Google Seeking To Normalize Tax Relations With Europe, Settle Claims
Jan 22, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Many governments in Europe don’t believe that US companies such as Google, Amazon, Facebook, Starbucks and Apple are paying their fair share of taxes. For example, Apple may face remedial tax liability in Europe of $8 billion, according to a Bloomberg report. Google is reportedly now negotiating with European governments to settle myriad tax disputes.
- Super Bowl 50 Advertisers: These Brands Are Ready To Play The Commercial Game
Jan 22, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
See which brands will be airing ads on the most-watched sports night of the year, along with their campaigns, teaser ads and more.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- SMX West Early Bird Rates Expire Saturday. Register Today!
- PPC Blunders: Downright Dirty, Inexperienced Or Overwhelmed?
- Preserve Your Content Ecosystem By Fixing Link Rot
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- 26 Blogging Mistakes That Are Costing You Time, Money, and Credibility, www.problogger.net
- 6 Social Media WordPress Plugins for Bloggers, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- The Key Difference Between Your Blog and Other Social Media Channels That Most Companies Miss, mackcollier.com
- Amex Marketing Exec Tops Twitter CMO List, recode.net
- Cracking the Google Profit Code, www.wsj.com
- Yahoo accelerated stock options to retain employees, www.businessinsider.com
- 10 Simple Ways To Think About Content Marketing, marketingthink.com
- 5 Content Marketing Ideas for February 2016, www.practicalecommerce.com
- A Day in the Life of a Content Marketer, contently.com
- Five Reasons Interactive Content Drives Engagement, www.marketingprofs.com
- How to Make Content Marketing Work Inside a Financial Services Company, contently.com
- Kick Off 2016 With Content Marketing Audits That Work, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Liven Up Old-Hat Content: 4 Ways to Find a New Twist, contentmarketinginstitute.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Adobe launches Squarespace competitor Adobe Portfolio, venturebeat.com
- Combining UX Design And Psychology To Change User Behavior, www.smashingmagazine.com
- Does Anticipatory Design Assume Too Much?, www.usertesting.com
- How Chili’s is reimagining the digital guest experience, digiday.com
- Recent Announcements And Implementations in Social Media App Design, usabilitygeek.com
- The Purpose of Site Maps and Other Design Deliverables, www.uxmatters.com
- What is service design & who uses it?, econsultancy.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- A Step By Step Guide To More Clickable Banner Ads, www.jeffbullas.com
- .sucks sends in the lawyers in “gag order” fight, domainincite.com
- Amazon’s strategy for Europe expansion includes armchair grocery shopping, qz.com
- Etsy Dives Into Video with Shop Videos for Merchants, smallbiztrends.com
- How a 10% USPS rate hike affects online retailers, www.internetretailer.com
- In-Store Pickups Account for Significant Ecommerce Sales, www.emarketer.com
- 15 Must-Haves for a Solid Email Marketing Program, www.verticalresponse.com
- 7 irresistibly clickable email subject lines, myemma.com
- Find Your Email Marketing Opportunities for 2016, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Has Zalando designed the perfect email unsubscribe process?, econsultancy.com
- How Personalization & Automation Can Boost Email Conversions, blog.kissmetrics.com
General Internet Marketing
- 2016 Marketing Trends To Transform Your Business, heidicohen.com
- Brand Names Matter (and Can Be Fun, Too!), www.stonetemple.com
- How Much Super Bowl Advertisers Spend, www.emarketer.com
- What Makes Customers Loyal to Brands?, www.convinceandconvert.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- IAB Launches Data Center of Excellence, www.iab.com
- 3 Ways to Uncomplicate the Complicated Marketing Stack, www.martechadvisor.com
- AOL Debuts A Publisher Platform, Acquires French RTB Shop AlephD, adexchanger.com
- Collaboration to be Key As CMOs Start to Outspend CIOs, www.martechadvisor.com
- Marketers: Personalization will become a science this year, venturebeat.com
- Three surprising findings about marketing technology in Australia and New Zealand, econsultancy.com
- Where in the world is the 2016 marketing tech landscape?, chiefmartec.com
- As budgets tighten, mobile investment delivers positive ROI, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Facebook Expands 3-D Touch Options for iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, www.adweek.com
- Reviewing SMS and MMS retail holiday marketing, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Text is the new talk for brand marketers, venturebeat.com
- What We Can Learn From Chipotle About Rescuing a Brand, smallbiztrends.com
- 3 Unusual Hacks to Dramatically Up Your LinkedIn Game, moz.com
- 5 Awesome Direct Messages (And Why You Should Use Them More Often), www.adweek.com
- 7 Reasons Why Social Media Should be the Workhorse of Your Marketing Strategy, blog.crazyegg.com
- Burger King and Wendy’s have beef on Twitter, digiday.com
- Examining the Current State of Social Marketing, www.adweek.com
- Facebook Now Tracks Call-to-Action Clicks via “Actions on Page” Insights Tab, www.adweek.com
- Google Decouples Google+ From Its Android Gaming Service, techcrunch.com
- Google+ Photos Search Stopped Working, Search Engine Roundtable
- How @CDWCorp connects with IT decision-makers on Twitter, www.Twitter.com
- How to Research and Locate Your Audience Using Social Media, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Inside Facebook’s Ambitious Plan to Connect the Whole World, www.wired.com
- Instagram Ads Off to a Strong Start, www.adweek.com
- Mark Zuckerberg Is Back To Work, techcrunch.com
- Seven Tips for Generating Social Content Through Influencers, www.marketingprofs.com
- Snapchat Leak Reveals An Upgraded Messaging Experience With Audio & Video Calling, Stickers & More, techcrunch.com
- Top 5 Tips for Valentine’s Day Social Marketing, blog.newswhip.com
- Twitter Needs a Product Renaissance to Get Out of Its Current Funk, www.adweek.com
- What Facebook Found Out By Studying The Parents On Its Site, www.fastcompany.com
- Why Pinterest Matters, simplymeasured.com
- Why Small Businesses Are Getting LinkedIn Wrong, www.wsj.com
- How to create Facebook video ads that cater for silent autoplay, econsultancy.com
- Spotify Ready to Introduce Video Product, www.wsj.com
- Top 3 Facebook Video Ad Formats for 2016, www.reelseo.com