Marketing Day: Link relevancy vs authority, Facebook AI efforts & affiliate networks
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on MarTech and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Bringing much-needed transparency to RTB
May 10, 2017 by Alex Bornyakov
Real-time bidding (RTB) is great for scale and efficiency, but it can come with risks for brand image, as recent developments have highlighted. Columnist Alex Bornyakov discusses these risks and explores whether it is possible to increase transparency in this programmatic channel.
- The power of location audiences: A buyer’s guide & scorecard
May 10, 2017 by Michael Della Penna
Location data can help take your marketing and advertising to the next level, but columnist Michael Della Penna says brands and agencies must do their homework before investing in location data, buying audiences or looking at offline attribution.
- Relevance vs. authority: Which link has more value? (Part 1)
May 10, 2017 by Andrew Dennis
When pursuing a link, which is more important, relevance or authority? Columnist Andrew Dennis asks expert link builders this question, and in the first of his three-part series, we hear from those who value relevance.
- Breaking out of travel silo, TripAdvisor taps Grubhub for restaurant delivery
May 10, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Delivery available in US “from tens of thousands restaurants in 1,100 cities.”
- Microsoft says it’s infusing AI into all of its products from Xbox to Office
May 10, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Intelligent cloud vision laid out at Build developer conference.
- How Facebook is using AI to penalize spammy, ad-heavy websites in its News Feed
May 10, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Facebook will curtail the reach of organic posts and ads that link to web pages with too little original content and too many annoying, offensive ads.
- When is a native ad not native? Understanding it’s all about context
May 10, 2017 by Rich Rosenzweig
Contributor Rich Rosenzweig explains why native advertisers need to understand the context of the user experience and match the quality standards of what’s around the ads.
- For marketing with developer events, connection and authenticity matter
May 10, 2017 by Josh Aberant
If you want to make developer-centric events a success, columnist Josh Aberant explains, you need to be able to connect with the dev community.
- 9 Best Practices of Affiliate Networks
May 9, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
There are plenty of factors that set great affiliate networks apart from the rest of the pack. Some of them are obvious. You need to have great offers (preferably exclusive), competitive payouts and excellent support from your affiliate managers.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- How Martha Stewart Became One Of The Best Bloggers On The Web, The Blog Herald
- Master This Writing Practice to Find More Loyal Readers, Copyblogger
- 12 Headline Tips to Draw Customers to Your Homepage – and Keep Them There, Small Biz Trends
- 3 Ways to Make Your Branded Content Bingeable, Adweek
- Using Competitor Research for Your Content Ideation, Search Engine Journal
- Mitch Joel on Why Agencies Should Care About Conversion Rate Optimization, Unbounce
- Soft Micro Conversions: The Little-Known, Conversion-Assisting Factors that You Might Be Ignoring, Kiss Metrics
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 5 Crucial Tips for A/B Testing Your Copywriting, CopyPressed
- Basic Patterns For Mobile Navigation: Pros And Cons, Smashing Magazine
- A Jumbo month for domain names, Domain Name Wire
- Check Your Parked Domain Names After Buying, Domain Investing
- Chinese Ecommerce Spending More than UK, U.S. Combined, Multichannel Merchant
- FMCG brands, if you didn’t have an Amazon strategy before, you need one now, Econsultancy
- 3 Last-Minute Mother’s Day Email Campaign Ideas, Movable Ink Blog
- How Do Your Email Marketing Automation Efforts Score?, Small Biz Trends
- How Purchased Email Lists Can Destroy Your Email Marketing, Constant Contact
General Internet Marketing
- 10 ideas from the world’s best marketers, My Emma
- Four Things Smart Marketers Do With Press Coverage, Marketo
- How to Write a Style Guide for Your Brand, Content Marketing Institute
- Transform Your Marketing Approach and Gain a Customer for Life, CMS Wire
- What Keeps Advertisers Up at Night?, eMarketer
Internet Marketing Industry
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark Labs at Microsoft Build 2017, Brainshark
- Didit Acquires The Halo Group to Further Enhance Its Integrated Marketing, PR Services, PR Newswire
- Exponential Taps Offline Location Data via Partnership with Cuebiq, Business Wire
- Seismic Launches NewsCenter to Modernize Enterprise Sales Communications, Seismic
- Taptica Expands into India and Russia with Focus on International Growth, Taptica Blog
- The BigCommerce Buy Button: A New Way to Sell In More Places, Big Commerce
- 4 Tips to Meet Shoppers’ Expectations Via Mobile, Multichannel Merchant
- A Practical Guide On How to Get Out of Gmail’s Promotions Tab, Jeff Bullas
- Browser Based Push Notifications (Are They Right For You?), Ignite Visibility
- Hacking Mobile Advertising, Small Biz Trends
- Tips for Attracting Local Clients, Duct Tape Marketing
- 8 Can’t-Miss Off-Page SEO Strategies to Build Your Online Reputation, Moz
- Banks are trying to save their online reputations, Digiday
- How Does Online Reputation Management Work? Key ORM Process Details, MarketingProfs
- 5 Ways to Create a Differentiated Social Media Experience, Multichannel Merchant
- 87 Percent of Pinners Say Pinterest Content Moved Them to Buy, Small Biz Trends
- How to Game the Facebook Algorithm, Social Media Explorer
- How to Research Your Competitors on Instagram, Social Media Examiner
- Marketers Talk Too Much, or Always Circle Before You Social, Simply Measured
- Now Marketers Can Actually Read Your Photos On Instagram And Facebook, Fast Company
- Snap is trying to prove it can stay ahead of Facebook with new features, ahead of its Q1 2017 earnings, Quartz
- The Rules of Social Media Marketing Success: Listen and Plan, CMS Wire
- What Marketers Can Learn from the Most Retweeted Tweet of All-Time, CMS Wire
- Why Social Makes Every Marketer a Researcher, Convince and Convert
- Will Instagram’s mobile web app help Facebook slay Snapchat?, Econsultancy
- 11 New Video Tools in Social Media, Practical Ecommerce
- 4 Tips for Working With YouTube Creators in Canada, Think with Google
- Periscope Now Allows Android Users to Broadcast Live 360 Video, Adweek
- The Paradox of Digital Video, AdExchanger
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.
New on MarTech