Marketing Day: Google’s location tracking, mobile marketing ROI & Facebook Messenger
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on MarTech and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Google’s location tracking is better now than ever before
Mar 3, 2017 by Andy Taylor
Columnist Andy Taylor notes that Google has improved its ability to track search traffic at the ZIP code level, which is good news for advertisers who employ granular geographic targeting.
- Here’s how & why CDPs differ from CRMs & DMPs
Mar 3, 2017 by Barry Levine
We asked an executive from RedPoint Global if existing customer data systems do the same thing as Customer Data Platforms.
- [Podcast] Marketing Land Live #46: Snap’s IPO, YouTube TV and more
Mar 3, 2017 by Matt McGee
In this week’s show, the Marketing Land crew talks about where Snapchat is headed now that its parent company has gone public. We also discuss the video ad implications of YouTube’s new OTT TV offering and what advertisers can do about fake news and hyperpartisan sites on the Google Display Network.
- Should you bother rewriting your ads?
Mar 3, 2017 by Jacob Baadsgaard
Rewriting and testing your ad copy may not be the most glamorous way to improve your paid search campaigns, but columnist Jacob Baadsgaard points out that it can be an incredibly effective way to get more bang from your budget.
- How bots ruin on-site experiences for real humans
Mar 3, 2017 by Liad Agmon
Contributor Liad Agmon explains why the problem of fake web traffic extends far beyond advertising.
- How to create a competitive content insights report step-by-step
Mar 3, 2017 by Rachel Lindteigen
Tackling an in-depth competitor content insights report can be a daunting task, but columnist Rachel Lindteigen breaks the process down into steps to make the process easier.
- Locksmiths try again to sue Google over fake local listings
Mar 3, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Search engines can assert immunity under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.
- Why mobile marketers need to start measuring ROI right now
Mar 3, 2017 by Shani Rosenfelder
Contributor Shani Rosenfelder believes 2017 will be the year that mobile marketers everywhere finally recognize the value of mobile ROI measurement.
- Whitelists vs. blacklists for programmatic media
Mar 3, 2017 by Kevin Lee
Should you use whitelists or blacklists, and does it matter? In the age of fake news, says columnist Kevin Lee, it should matter a lot to programmatic advertisers.
- Google sunsets its AdSense plugin for WordPress
Mar 3, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
Google says automatic ads and upcoming initiatives will fulfill the plugin’s functionality.
- Facebook Messenger adds option for chatbots to avoid chatting
Mar 2, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Messenger bots can prevent people from typing in text to reply and make them use non-native menu buttons instead.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 4 Analytics Reports Every Content Marketer Should Use, Content Marketing Institute
- How to Measure the ROI of Your Content Marketing Efforts – a Step-by-Step Guide, Duct Tape Marketing
Blogs & Blogging
- Facebook is laying fiber cable in Uganda to boost internet reach and speed, Quartz
- Snapchat soars again on second day of trading, TechCrunch
- WPP’s Martin Sorrell, the world’s largest advertising CEO, says his biggest worry is not Facebook or Google – it is Amazon, Quartz
- How to Find, Write and Use Persuasive Testimonials (Plus 10 Customer Testimonial Examples), Orbit Media Studios
- The Best Content Marketing of February: 7 Brands That Mean Business, Contently
- Why You Need a Cross-Functional Content Marketing Calendar, Contently
- Your Content Strategy, David Meerman Scott
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 5 Old Marketing Phrases to Avoid, CopyPressed
- Revamp Your Website Pages for Better User Experience, Search Engine Journal
- A surprising conclusion about the languages of new TLDs (Part #6), Domain Name Wire
- Alibaba Raises Stake in India’s Crowded E-Commerce Market, Wall Street Journal
- Amazon boss Jeff Bezos wants to start shipping packages to the Moon, The Verge
- Amazon plans to release new Alexa devices that can make phone calls and work as intercoms, Recode
- Amazon’s private label Elements expands for first time in years with invite-only vitamins and supplements, TechCrunch
- Chinese Ecommerce Market Pegged at $1.7 Trillion by 2020, Multichannel Merchant
- How Super Bowl ads impact sales on Amazon.com, Internet Retailer
- 9 Expert Ways to Grow Your Email List with Facebook, Constant Contact
- How to Build Better Loyalty Emails, Movable Ink Blog
General Internet Marketing
Internet Marketing Industry
- Entravision Communications Corporation To Expand Digital Marketing Capabilities With Acquisition Of Headway, PR Newswire
- PullString Announces Support for Actions on Google., PullString
- How to make sure your new chatbot gets a head start, VentureBeat
- Why Machine Learning Moves the Needle for Marketers, CMS Wire
- Mobile Kids: The Parent, the Child and the Smartphone, Nielsen
- 67% of small businesses plan to build a mobile app by end of 2017, Mobile Commerce Daily
- App downloads and usage decrease as smartphone traffic increases, Internet Retailer
- Brands scratching surface for app’s creative use, Mobile Commerce Daily
- Messenger Platform 1.4 Brings Even More Tools to Build Great Experiences, Facebook for Developers
- U.S. consumers now spend 5 hours per day on mobile devices, TechCrunch
- Online Businesses Could Do More to Protect their Reputations and Prevent Consumers from Phishing Schemes, FTC
- Thought Leadership: How to Become Known to People Who Matter, Social Media Examiner
- 5 Steps to an Effective Employee Advocacy Program, Marketo
- 6 Targeting Options on Pinterest, 3Q Digital
- Create Facebook Lookalike Audiences From Multiple Countries or Regions, Jon Loomer Digital
- Does Facebook advertising even work a lick?, Digiday
- Facebook adds a travel-planning feature called “City Guides”, TechCrunch
- How to Recover From a Big Social Media Blunder, Search Engine Journal
- Improving News Literacy Through Collaboration, Facebook Media
- Inside Facebook’s pitch for entertainment content, Digiday
- Publishers Weigh In: Snapchat Vs. Instagram Stories, AdExchanger
- Twitter Ads vs. Facebook Ads: The Social Advertising Smackdown, Flyte New Media
- User Demographics of the Top 7 Social Networks, MarketingProfs
- 3 Big YouTube Numbers Video Marketers Need to Care About, Tubular Insights
- Facebook Intensifies Hunt for TV-Like Video Programming, Wall Street Journal
- Publishers Get Ready: All Facebook Videos To Autoplay with Sound on Mobile, Tubular Insights
- Schedule Facebook Live Videos and Webinars, Jon Loomer Digital
- This New Feature Could Be Huge For Twitch Influencers, MediaKix
- YouTube’s Mobile-Viewing Audience Reach, MarketingProfs
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.