Marketing Day: Facebook Winning Battle Against Fake Likes, Spotify’s New Playlist Targeting & More
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Identify and Eliminate Your R.O.T. Content – April 23 Webcast
Learn how to get rid of the redundant, outdated and trivial (R.O.T.) content that’s sitting on your site right now.
- Facebook Says It’s Winning The Battle Against Fake Likes
Improvements in pattern recognition technology have enabled the social network to triple the number of fraudulent likes it blocks before they even reach Pages.
- Emojis are Everywhere! Even In Foot Locker’s New #Shoemoji Mobile App!
Sneaker fans already express themselves via their footwear, and the athletic shoe retailer is now allowing them to do so in social media as well.
- How Will Google’s “Mobile-Friendly” Algorithm Affect Affiliate Marketing?
If you’re a retailer who depends on affiliates to send you traffic, their mobile-geddon is your mobile-geddon. Columnist Melissa Feemster explains how affiliate marketers and affiliates alike should be preparing.
- How To Grow Your Personal Brand On Twitter In Only 10 Minutes A Day
Can’t afford a social media manager? Columnist Neil Patel offers up tips on how to grow your own personal brand on Twitter.
- Spotify’s New “Playlist Targeting” Lets Brands Segment Ad Audiences Based On Activities Or Moods
Using playlist data, brands will be able to choose from 15 different categories, including labels like “workout” or “chill.”
- The Unfortunate Reality Of Most Content Marketing Programs
It should be no surprise that bad content strategy results in low conversions. Columnist and CRO expert Tim Ash explains the questions you should be asking to overcome this.
- Infinite Scroll: Is It Right For Your Site?
Infinite scrolling pages have become very popular on many prominent websites. Columnist Kristine Schachinger poses the question — is this a good thing?
- Gmail, Outlook Apps Build A Better Email Marketing Ecosystem
Despite concerns, mobile email app usage doesn’t decrease engagement, columnist Kevin Gallant says.
- VA Court: Yelp Doesn’t Have To Reveal Identities Of Anonymous Reviewers
The Virginia Supreme Court has issued a ruling that Yelp is not compelled to reveal the identities of seven anonymous online reviewers.
- Cray Party Moms Get Turnt In Hefty Video That Is So Totally On Fleek
The household plastics company makes a play for the hard-partying “Red Solo Cup” crowd with hilarious videos promoting its crack-resistant “Ultimate” cups.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Bing iPhone App Gets A Refresh With New Privacy Controls, Image Search Results & More Emojis
- Bing Ads To Force Close Variants On Advertisers & Will Modify The Way That Negatives Operate
- Search In Pics: Real Facebook Wall, Penguin Android & Apple Street View Car
- Google Cites Incorrect Traffic Data In Response Post To EU Antitrust Charges
- SEMPO Cities Takes The Search Marketing Organization’s Efforts To A Local Level
- Google Tests: New Mobile Search Design & People Also Ask Box
- Your Ideal Shopping Campaign: The Critical Segmentation Decision
- In 2 Years, Google Search Tools & Filters Have Shrunk From 9 To 2
- Google Replaces A Site’s URL In Search Results & Uses Its Site Name & Breadcrumb Path
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 10 Questions Every Marketer Should Ask Before Buying Audience Data, www.marketingprofs.com
- Why You Need to Develop a Data-Driven Marketing Strategy, www.martechadvisor.com
- Apple officially names Steve Dowling as Vice President of Communications, 9to5mac.com
- The New York Times Company Appoints Meredith Kopit Levien Chief Revenue Officer, investors.nytco.com
- Yahoo has a bad habit of buying talent through acquisitions, qz.com
- 3 Great New Ways Of Generating Money With Content Online, www.blogherald.com
- Creating a Framework for Content Marketing Campaigns, www.distilled.net
- Do B2B Content Marketers Struggle to Keep Ideas Coming?, www.emarketer.com
- Native advertising on editorial websites doesn’t work, digiday.com
- Story Hackers: How the Biggest Companies in Silicon Valley Are Using Content to Fuel Their Growth, contently.com
- Tagging Content: The Simple Thing Most Brands Get Wrong, contently.com
- The Consultant’s Checklist for Launching Content, www.distilled.net
- The Washington Post takes an Amazon-inspired approach to native ad targeting, digiday.com
- 4 Ways a Lack of Clarity Could Be Killing Your Conversions, unbounce.com
- How Many Questions Should You Ask On Your Landing Page Form, www.searchenginepeople.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- How Social Media is Impacting Web Design, smallbiztrends.com
- Parallax Scrolling: Engaging Or Annoying?, www.usertesting.com
- Using Sketch For Responsive Web Design (A Case Study), www.smashingmagazine.com
- Deep Dive on Amazon Home Services, blog.biakelsey.com
- How to use digital tools to increase sales both in stores and online, www.internetretailer.com
- Loyalty Program Membership Rises, but Participation Falls, www.emarketer.com
- PayPal Wants You to Inject Your Username and Eat Your Password, blogs.wsj.com
- Retailers need to better meld mobile, web and store shopping, www.internetretailer.com
- The Lowdown on Personalized Recommendations, www.getelastic.com
- Three ways retailers can raise prices without losing customers, econsultancy.com
- How Email Marketing Can Drive Customer Engagement, www.martechadvisor.com
- How to Use Autoresponder to Make the Right First Impression, Every Time, blogs.constantcontact.com
General Internet Marketing
- 3 Ways People-Powered Marketing Can Make Your Brand Stronger, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Maintaining outdated marketing silos will lead to a skills gap, econsultancy.com
- Top Digital Marketing Trends, www.sempdx.org
Internet Marketing Industry
- The Relationship between Fraud & Viewability, www.sizmek.com
- 6 Vital Features to Look for in Marketing Automation Software this Year, blog.marketo.com
- Guide to Driving Digital Transformation – A Start, www.martechadvisor.com
- Marketing Technology Comparison Report, www.capterra.com
- More Marketers Seek Automation For Digital Campaigns – But Not for Social, www.adweek.com
- 5 Ways Starbucks Turns a Global Business Into a Local Brand, streetfightmag.com
- Amazon Shuts Down TestDrive, The Appstore Feature That Let You Try Apps Before Downloading, techcrunch.com
- Apple Pay Plans to Launch in Canada This Fall, www.wsj.com
- Does the Apple Watch Signal a Post-Browser World?, www.cmswire.com
- Mobile: Get on-target by going off-channel, www.internetretailer.com
- Spring shopping app attracts fashion brands and investors, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Where To? 8.0: iPhone local search app now on the Apple Watch, www.futuretap.com
- Yelp for Apple Watch: Going Micro in a Big Way, officialblog.yelp.com
- 5 Tips to Build a Twitter Following, www.martechadvisor.com
- Creating a meme on Twitter could send you to jail in Tanzania, qz.com
- Facebook Custom Audience CTRs Leave FBX in the Dust, www.emarketer.com
- Facebook Marketing Partner Sprinklr Expands into Japan, www.adweek.com
- Navigating the ‘Hotel California’ effect of social platforms, digiday.com
- Pinterest’s Simple Secret For Getting Creative With Brands, Fast Company
- Should You Delete Your Business Facebook Page?, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Twitter executive: Here’s how we’re trying to stop abuse while preserving free speech, Washington Post
- What We Learned By Looking at 90 Days Worth of Tweets, www.addthis.com
- Why Social Marketers Need to Get Clear On “Engagement”, simplymeasured.com
- Animoto’s Brad Jefferson on Why SMBs Should Do Facebook Video, www.adweek.com
- Former Hulu Chief Kilar Raises $58 Million for Vessel Video, adage.com
- How Coca-Cola is Sharing its Sustainability Story via YouTube, www.reelseo.com
- Jump-Start Your Video Optimization and Promotion, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Start me up: Rolling Stones tap YouTubers to tout tour, digiday.com