Marketing Day: Facebook Tweaks News Feed, YouTube’s Top 5 Summer Movie Trailers & More
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- No Longer Twitter Exclusive, Meerkat Moves Closer To Facebook
Going for growth, Meerkat enables registering via Facebook. Live-streaming app also adds the ability to bring temporary guest hosts into events.
- Q2 Report: Ad Spend On Facebook FBX Outpaced Google Display
IgnitionOne finds overall programmatic display ad spend rose 33 percent year-over-year.
- Microsoft CEO Nadella Rebukes Ballmer With Nokia Write-Down
Current Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella is very pragmatic. He’s trying to focus the company on clear growth opportunities and areas where there’s existing momentum.
- Energize Your AdWords Campaigns With Call Analytics – July 22 Webcast
4 simple rules for successful AdWords campaigns.
- Using Second-Party Data To Expand Reach & Improve Your Retargeting
Second-party data can be extremely valuable to marketers, yet it’s not as well understood or as widely employed as first- or third-party data. To help clear the fog, columnist Matt Ackley explains second-party data and its uses.
- Facebook Lets People Choose What They See First In The News Feed
With update to News Feed user preferences, Facebook gives users more control over which friends and Pages show up on their feeds.
- Top 5 Summer Movie Trailers: Google Says 81% Of People Who Watched A Trailer Online Saw It On YouTube
The new Star Wars, Batman and Jurassic World movies were the top three most watched trailers on YouTube between April and June.
- 7 Signs CMOs Need To Examine Their Media Mix
Have you been debating which advertising channels to pour your money into? Columnist Scott Rayden lays out the signs that your media mix may need a refresh.
- 3 Design Best Practices That Web Designers And Conversion Optimizers Can Agree Upon
Design and conversion don’t need to be at war with each other. Columnist Jeremy Smith outlines some design techniques to help the two sides form a symbiotic bond.
- Advertisers Keep Running Flash Ads On Mobile Even Though It’s Almost Never Supported
Study finds huge usage of Flash continues despite the fact that the ads usually default to static banners on mobile device.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- What Does It Mean To Be “Search Marketer of the Year”?
- Sophos Uncovers Mass Link Spam In Google’s Search Results Via Cloaked PDFs
- “Great Price” Messaging Spotted In Google Shopping Ads
- Google Reports A 41% Growth In Mobile Searches For Movie Showtimes
- Planting The Seeds For An Evergreen Content Strategy
- Google Maps Hides Search Bar, HERE Struggles To Sell
- The Emerging Role Of SEO In App Discoverability
- Report: US Paid Search Spend Up 22 Percent In Q2, Google Regains Share Losses
- PPC Trademark Bidding In Q1 Fell Sharply After The Holidays; Highest In Home Services Industry
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 6 Ways to Collect the Data You Need to Enhance Your Marketing, www.silverpop.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 21 Things I Learned From Publishing 852 Blog Posts, pushingsocial.com
- 3 Project Management and Organisational Apps that I Use in My Blogging, www.problogger.net
- Best Writing Tips for Beginning Bloggers, www.blogherald.com
- How To Find The Best Blog Ideas, www.searchenginejournal.com
- 3 Content Marketing Opportunities You Are Missing, heidicohen.com
- 4 Keys to Capturing a New Audience for Your Content Marketing, contently.com
- Content Marketing Showdown: Under Armour vs. Nike, contently.com
- How to Be a Story Activist, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Supercharge Your Marketing Campaign with Visual Content, www.ducttapemarketing.com
- A Serial Entrepreneur Shares His Top CRO Secrets, blog.crazyegg.com
- Optimizing the Free Trial Signup – How Flow Got a 17% Lift, conversionxl.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 5 Things to Learn from Direct-Response Copywriters, blog.crazyegg.com
- Big Brand Doesn’t Always Equal .com EMD, dotweekly.com
- Do 3 letter domains have any real value?, domainnamewire.com
- Swallow the money: a look at ICANN finances, www.ionmag.asia
- 11 unusual examples of ecommerce navigation, econsultancy.com
- 3 Deadly (and Common) Mistakes Sellers Make With Their Amazon Listings, www.marketingwords.com
- A New Cart Cross-Selling Strategy, www.getelastic.com
- A new source of personalization data, www.internetretailer.com
- Adobe integrates content and marketing programs with IBMâï¿½ï¿½s e-commerce platform, www.internetretailer.com
- Canada: Opportunity for U.S., U.K. Ecommerce Merchants?, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Growing number of luxury brands starting to move into e-commerce, www.retaildive.com
- Why Multichannel Selling is a Win for Retailers, www.stitchlabs.com
- Yes, men do like to shop for clothes – on the web, www.retaildive.com
- 10 Steps for Handling Unsubscribes, smallbiztrends.com
- 5 Questions You Should Ask When Choosing an Email Marketing Technology, blog.movableink.com
- Get Emails Delivered to Even the Most Remote Inbox, www.verticalresponse.com
- My Heart and Data Agree: GQ’s Emails Are the Best Emails Ever, contently.com
- The mail you want, not the spam you don’t, gmailblog.blogspot.com
- Using Email to Collect Additional Subscriber Data, blog.returnpath.com
General Internet Marketing
- 4 Steps Marketers Can Take Towards Increasing Their Digital Marketing Budget, www.toprankblog.com
- CMO Advice: Keep Your Focus on the Customer, www.cmswire.com
- How to make employees your most valuable marketing asset, econsultancy.com
- Marketers Pair Up with Influencers – and It Works, www.emarketer.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Acxiom Strengthens Leadership Team: Names Jeremy Allen as President of Marketing Services, www.businesswire.com
- BidSwitch and AerServ Partner to Enable Programmatic Buying of Mobile and Mobile Video Inventory, www.marketwired.com
- Extreme Reach Receives MRC Accreditation for Its Video ad Viewability Services, www.globenewswire.com
- Eyereturn Marketing Launches Advanced Reporting and Analytics Solution for Advertisers, eyereturnmarketing.com
- HyprMX Simplifies Video Mediation, www.marketwired.com
- IAB Statement on MRC Viewability Measurement Reconciliation Findings, www.iab.net
- Intelliverse Launches Email Tracker for Google Chrome, www.businesswire.com
- Saatchi & Saatchi Names David Hackworthy Global Chief Strategy Officer, www.adweek.com
- Best Marketing Automation Software in 2015, www.g2crowd.com
- How 6 big publishers think about their technology staffs, digiday.com
- A Chance To Win Every Day With Yahoo Sports Daily, yahoo.tumblr.com
- Five tips on writing content for a mobile audience, econsultancy.com
- How retailers can score a deal on Facebook’s mobile app install ads, www.internetretailer.com
- Marketers in Canada Narrow Their Mobile Focus, www.emarketer.com
- Microsoft’s Band gets RSS-powered web apps that anyone can create, www.theverge.com
- Should every consumer product be able to communicate with a smartphone?, www.mobilemarketer.com
- Spotify urges iPhone customers to stop paying through Apple’s App Store, www.theverge.com
- Why All Brands Need to Prepare for the Localization of Marketing, streetfightmag.com
- 20 Topic Ideas For Your Next Social Post, www.verticalresponse.com
- 3 Tips for Incorporating Social into Your Overall Marketing, www.silverpop.com
- 5 Social Media Marketing Tips for Business, www.toprankblog.com
- 5 Ways to Integrate Snapchat Into Your Marketing Strategy, www.jeffbullas.com
- 7 Signs You Should Invest More in Social Media, www.koozai.com
- Facebook has a massive video theft problem, mashable.com
- Facebook’s Not-So-Secret Plan to Take Over Email, www.convinceandconvert.com
- From Engagement to Leads: The Psychology Behind Converting Social Media Fans, www.marketingprofs.com
- How to Choose What Social Media Space to Focus On, www.problogger.net
- How To Unlock Instagram With Powerful Reactive Content, locowise.com
- How To Use Influencer Marketing To Strengthen Your Social Media Presence, www.searchenginepeople.com
- More than 1 Million Members are now Publishing on LinkedIn, blog.linkedin.com
- Why Social Marketing Is No Longer ‘A Dunk in the Dark’, adage.com
- Winning at Twitter Chats, www.bruceclay.com
- 500 million people are watching videos of video games, qz.com
- Brands confront video metrics mess in an age of autoplay, digiday.com