Marketing Day: Facebook News Feed changes, personalized local content & more
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on MarTech and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- 13 uses for keyword research to help you win in the search engines
Oct 21, 2016 by Stoney deGeyter
Google may have shifted its focus from keywords to “entities” in recent years, but columnist Stoney deGeyter reminds us that keyword research is still an important and useful part of the SEO process.
- ProPublica slams Google for opt-in targeting changes that happened in June
Oct 21, 2016 by Greg Sterling
- Facebook now re-ranks News Feed stories in real time on the client side
Oct 21, 2016 by Matt McGee
An architectural change puts an even bigger premium on speed, as content will be ranked while users scroll through their News Feed.
- Digital demand and supply: The psychology of self-development for digital careers
Oct 21, 2016 by Jim Yu
Are your job skills keeping pace with today’s rapidly evolving digital culture? Columnist Jim Yu discusses ways to get up to speed and boost your career in the digital world.
- Personalized Local Content: Frightful or Insightful?
Oct 21, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Searchers now use a wide range of devices to shop for nearby products and services, yet it’s a challenge for brands to find consumers online in the “near me” moments that matter. Join our panel of experts as they provide best practices and insights into how brands can connect with local consumers.
- Facebook set to launch international ad campaign for Facebook Live
Oct 21, 2016 by Matt McGee
Company plans two-phase campaign in the US and UK starting this weekend.
- 10 reasons why SEO is just like fitness
Oct 21, 2016 by Kaspar Szymanski
Like getting in shape, ranking well in search engines takes time. Columnist Kaspar Szymanski explains the similarities to help educate clients and neophytes.
- A CMO’s View: How WP Engine’s content marketing works across the customer journey
Oct 21, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
CMO Mary Ellen Dugan shares her vision of how she hopes to tell a better story through the brand’s content marketing strategy.
- WP Engine: Top WordPress plug-ins and themes generated more than a quarter of a billion dollars since 2010
Oct 21, 2016 by Barry Levine
The WordPress hosting service also shares the top dozen plug-ins on its platform.
- Are fake online reviews killing consumer confidence?
Oct 21, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
Consumer confidence in reviews is drastically lagging. Contributor Tamar Weinberg explains how brands can take advantage of user-generated content and a smart review process to regain that trust.
- 3 popular CRO tactics (that can backfire terribly)
Oct 21, 2016 by Khalid Saleh
Ready to implement all those great conversion rate optimization (CRO) techniques you’ve learned? Not so fast! Columnist Khalid Saleh warns that if they’re not done properly, your CRO efforts might run into trouble.
- Microsoft beats estimates with $22.3 billion in quarterly revenue
Oct 20, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Cloud services were strong, but the company’s consumer devices revenue was generally flat or down, except for Surface computers.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- Influential Cybersecurity Blogger Gets Digitally Attacked, www.blogherald.com
- EU regulators want to know if LinkedIn data is unique, www.reuters.com
- Content Gating: When, Whether, and How to Put Your Content Behind an Email/Form Capture, moz.com
- Creative Spotlight: 6 Steps to Increase Your Pace Without Sacrificing Quality, www.copypress.com
- In Defense of Content Marketing, www.cmswire.com
- How Neuroscience Marketing Might Actually Be Hurting Your Conversions, blog.crazyegg.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Copyranter: What is a copywriter, anyway?, digiday.com
- How to create a 301 redirect in WordPress, yoast.com
- When to Use Tabbed Navigation and How to Optimize It, conversionxl.com
- Do Sub-Domains Lead To .com Domain Visits?, dotweekly.com
- Remember .Tel? It might be about to change., domainnamewire.com
- Verisign signs .com contract extension, amends cooperative agreement, domainnamewire.com
- 10 Great Ecommerce Ideas for October 2016, www.practicalecommerce.com
- 10 Ways to Use Online Reviews to Make Your Job Easier, multichannelmerchant.com
- A major Chinese seller on Amazon plans to go public, www.internetretailer.com
- Apple alleges Amazon sold counterfeit products in lawsuit, www.retaildive.com
- How e-retailers can engage mobile holiday shoppers with native ads, www.internetretailer.com
- Industrial companies plow ahead in e-commerce, www.internetretailer.com
- When Should Retailers Remind Shoppers of Abandoned Carts?, www.emarketer.com
- Email Marketing: A Fresh Take From the Experts, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Mobile email: Here’s what you need to know, myemma.com
General Internet Marketing
- Advocates Target Influencer Marketing to Kids, adage.com
- Brand It Like Beyonce, www.marketingprofs.com
- Consumers Want Personalization In Exchange for Their Data, www.adweek.com
- The IAB’s Dynamic Ad Standard Will Bridge The Divide Between Data And Creativity, adexchanger.com
- This Agency Designed a Toolkit to Help Marketers and Clients Improve Their Campaigns, www.adweek.com
- Why Your Unique Value Proposition Isn’t as Important as You Think It Is (and What Matters More), blog.kissmetrics.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- ContentSquare Raises $20 Million in Funding for Global Expansion, www.businesswire.com
- Infer Introduces New Connector for Microsoft Dynamics 365 to Help Amplify Sales Effectiveness, www.infer.com
- Top 5 Website Performance Testing Tools, www.searchenginepeople.com
- China overtakes the U.S. in iOS App Store revenue, TechCrunch
- How businesses benefit from text messaging, venturebeat.com
- How fashion and travel are leading the way in m-commerce, econsultancy.com
- Marketing to the Smartphonista: A new generation of digital buyers, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Retailers still dragging their feet in the mobile transition, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Sameer Patel of Kahuna: Modern Mobile Marketing Provides Realtime Link between Insights and Interaction, smallbiztrends.com
- Study Highlights Location Data Uses in Real Estate, Retail Analysis, Smart Cities, streetfightmag.com
- 4 Ways Social Attribution Will Change How Publishers Use Social, simplymeasured.com
- 5 Facebook Advertising Tips for Service-Based Businesses, www.searchenginejournal.com
- 7 Yuuuge Pinterest Tips in 7 Minutes, blog.tailwindapp.com
- 80 million downloads in a year: Everything marketers need to know about Snapchat’s Asian clone Snow, digiday.com
- Instagram Ads: What Marketers Need to Know, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Page Insights Bug, media.fb.com
- Slack versus Facebook Workplace on DAUs, qz.com
- Social Login Grows in Popularity, multichannelmerchant.com
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Using Copyrighted Music On YouTube, tubularinsights.com
- The three 2016 U.S. presidential debates rank as the most-viewed political live streams of all time, youtube.googleblog.com
- UK Digital Video Advertisers Converge on Measuring Viewthroughs, www.emarketer.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.