Marketing Day: Beacons are dead, Snapchat shutters Story Explorer feature & more
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on MarTech and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Commerce Signals and PlaceIQ turn in-store sales data into campaign optimization tool
Nov 30, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Data will help marketers understand which campaigns are delivering in-store sales most efficiently, at the lowest cost.
- Is in-house marketing better than using an agency?
Nov 30, 2016 by Jacob Baadsgaard
Contributor Jacob Baadsgaard discusses the differences between marketing agencies and in-house marketing to help you determine which would be better for your business.
- Google’s shift to mobile-first: mobile moments that matter
Nov 30, 2016 by Jim Yu
Columnist Jim Yu outlines Google’s long march toward a mobile-first index and explains why optimizing for mobile devices is no longer optional.
- ‘Beacons are dead,’ says CEO of a retail analytics firm
Nov 30, 2016 by Barry Levine
The main reason, according to Euclid Analytics’ head Brent Franson: consumers aren’t yet using their smartphones the way beacons assume.
- Size matters: 5 tips for creating LEAN programmatic creative
Nov 30, 2016 by Victor Wong
Programmatic ads now account for a majority of display ads in the US, and columnist Victor Wong believes that advertisers must craft their creative to win in this environment.
- Return Path buys email deliverability specialist Email Copilot
Nov 30, 2016 by Barry Levine
The acquisition will be integrated into the email service provider’s platform to boost its deliverability capabilities.
- Snapchat shuts down Story Explorer feature in Live Stories
Nov 30, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Snapchat has removed its Story Explorer feature that allowed people to view specific moments of a Live Story from different perspectives.
- 10 domain name secrets to repair your online reputation
Nov 30, 2016 by Chris Silver Smith
If you’re trying to fix your personal reputation online, looking toward your domain name is a valuable first step. Columnist Chris Silver Smith explains some options beyond setting up YourName.com.
- Amazon: Alexa devices were best-selling products from any manufacturer
Nov 30, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Amazon reported that ‘millions’ of Alexa devices and Fire tablets were sold.
- Ranked conversations have arrived to the Twitter mobile experience
Nov 29, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
Twitter has rolled out conversation ranking to the mobile app, giving it the same experience that the desktop has had since the summer of 2015.
- MarTech Conference series adds Boston event in 2017
Nov 29, 2016 by Marketing Land
Marketing Land publisher Third Door Media announced today that it will produce an East coast edition of MarTech®: The Marketing Tech Conference at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston October 2-4, 2017. A West coast edition of MarTech will take place in San Francisco May 9-11, 2017.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 5 ways to use real-world insights and data analytics to engage with consumers visiting stores, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Digital Marketing Reports for Time-Starved Data Analysts: PivotTable POWER!, www.aimclearblog.com
- Measuring Reader Engagement: Publisher ROI, info.crowdynews.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 6 Can’t Miss Posts in 2016 to Help You Become a Better Blogger, www.blogherald.com
- How to Create Consistently Valuable Content for Your Blog, www.problogger.net
- How to Get 100,000 People to See Your Blog Post, unbounce.com
- Tumblr finally makes SSL connections the default for new blogs, techcrunch.com
- Amazon looking to convert Italy power stations into data centers, www.reuters.com
- Email delivery platform SendGrid raises $33 million ahead of IPO in 2017, venturebeat.com
- ‘All the different bits of tech’: Brands still struggle proving content marketing ROI, digiday.com
- ‘Beware of the shiny new thing’: Common content-marketing pitfalls, digiday.com
- 7 Best Ways to Improve Your Content Marketing in 2017, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- Get Control of Your Content Marketing Ideas So You Can Take Action, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- How Much Should I Spend on Content Marketing in 2017?, www.verticalmeasures.com
- Report: The Lifecycle of Visual Assets in Hospitality and Travel, librisblog.photoshelter.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Creative Spotlight: The Top 4 Grammar Mistakes You’ll See Online, www.copypress.com
- Put your users first with the four S’: Speed, Scroll, Style, Simple, adsense.googleblog.com
- The Rules of Effective Copywriting, www.ducttapemarketing.com
- WordPress Adds Google Translate Widget, www.blogherald.com
Display & Contextual Advertising
- What’s programmatic costing you?, www.thedrum.com
- 4 takeaways from Cyber Monday 2016, www.retaildive.com
- 5 Ways Your Ecommerce Business Can Recover From A Growth Setback, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Alternatives to Rebuilding an Ecommerce Store, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Amazon accounts for nearly 40% of holiday weekend web sales in the US, www.internetretailer.com
- Amazon launches Amazon AI to bring its machine learning smarts to developers, TechCrunch
- Amazon Plans Premium Alexa Speaker With Large Screen, Bloomberg
- Building an Omnichannel Strategy Around Your Customer Experience, multichannelmerchant.com
- Jet.com’s holiday sales take off thanks to better preparation, www.internetretailer.com
- Online Shopping Adds Muscle to Holiday Sales, www.wsj.com
- 64 Percent of Top Performing Marketers Use Automated Email Weekly, New Report Says, smallbiztrends.com
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday emails flood shoppers’ inboxes, www.internetretailer.com
General Internet Marketing
- 3 Smart Resources That Help with Influencer Marketing, www.convinceandconvert.com
- 6 Things to Remember When Marketing to Millennials, multichannelmerchant.com
- CMOs: We’re Only As Strong as Our Alliances, www.cmswire.com
- Need to Rebrand? 3 Must-Know Insights for Today’s CMO, adage.com
- Three Ways to Make Influencer Marketing Authentic Again, www.marketingprofs.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Bidtellect Partners with nToggle to Amplify Native Programmatic Advertising Scale with Superior Infrastructure Economics, www.ntoggle.com
- Emarsys Launches Artificial Intelligence Capabilities to Simplify and Revolutionize the Role of B2C Marketers, globenewswire.com
- Owen West Joins Tubular Labs, www.businesswire.com
- Pitcher Awarded Patent for “Sentiment Analysis Module” Feature of its Sales and Marketing Enablement Platform, www.pitcher.com
- App Marketers Learn From Ad Tech, Even As They Abandon Ads, adexchanger.com
- ConsumerTrack Introduces A new Marketing Technology Platform, www.martechadvisor.com
- How Tech Has Changed Black Friday, contently.com
- Many Marketers Recognize They Are Falling Short with Technology, www.emarketer.com
- Seeking the right Technology Provider? Try our Bing Elite Partners, advertise.bingads.microsoft.com
- 4 Mobile Marketing Trends to Focus on in 2017, smallbiztrends.com
- App marketing tips for this holiday season, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Dear Facebook Messenger: We’re in a relationship, but it’s complicated, venturebeat.com
- IAB Proposes New Guidelines for In-App Advertising, Ad Age
- Shopping via mobile popular on Black Friday, paying by mobile definitely wasn’t, www.retaildive.com
- Some Google Accounts Hit by Malicious Android Apps, www.wsj.com
- The beginner’s guide to mobile marketing terms, part II, www.tune.com
- What Google AMP Means for Every Marketer, www.cmswire.com
- Customize your G Suite experience with App Maker and Recommended apps, www.blog.google
- Yahoo Answers gets its own standalone iOS app, iphone.appleinsider.com
- Tumblr finally makes SSL connections the default for new blogs, TechCrunch
- 4 Proven Methods to Turn Your Social Media Followers into Raving Fans, www.searchenginepeople.com
- 6 Ways to Celebrate the Holiday Season in Your Social Media Marketing, www.toprankblog.com
- All the Best Facebook Business News from November, www.facebook.com
- Facebook fake news data from Jumpshot: It’s the biggest traffic referrer to fake and hyperpartisan news sites, qz.com
- How to Increase Content Discovery on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, simplymeasured.com
- How to Navigate the Social Ad Spend Solar System, blog.marketo.com
- New Look for Pinterest Business Profiles, www.adweek.com
- Publishers’ on-again, off-again affair with LinkedIn is back on again, digiday.com
- Reddit to crack down on abuse after CEO is targeted, www.reuters.com
- Social Media: The Rising Star for Your Digital Marketing Strategy, www.socialmediatoday.com
- The Importance of Social Media Across the Customer Journey, multichannelmerchant.com
- Twitter now lets mobile users make their own Moments, techcrunch.com
- Twitter says it will ban Trump if he breaks hate-speech rules, qz.com
- 4K live streaming: Live has never looked so good, youtube.googleblog.com
- 5 Easy Videos Every Small Business Can Make ASAP (With Examples), www.thesaleslion.com
- Amazon is becoming a moneymaker for video publishers, digiday.com
- Celebrate and Vote for #TheYouTubeAd of 2016, agency.googleblog.com
- CNN Taps YouTube Influencer to Reach Millennials, www.emarketer.com
- Facebook has cut off Prisma’s Live Video access, techcrunch.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily MarTech. Staff authors are listed here.
New on MarTech